1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange bars going appearing while viewing images..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by marianne, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

For some time now I've had strange bars or lines appearing while viewing images on occasion. Now I had it happen while watching a youtube video using internet explorer. I had just shared the video via email when the bars appeared. Could my hard drive be going bad? Sorry I don't know how to post an image. I was able to create a screen capture. I will try and do that but have had no luck in the past. I should ad that I upgraded from vista to windows 7

I just uploaded image of bars onto my webpage:
    http://mehp.tripod.com/computer_screen_shots.html
    Thanks
    Marianne

2. CLCS

CLCS

Does this happen to the images or videos also or just around them?

3. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

It happened most frequently with images I was viewing on my hard drive and over the past 6 months or so. The recent event has happened twice while viewing something on a website but am not sure if they were both while viewing youtube videos. I have a warranty on the computer. The one was while viewing a youtube video and seemed to occur after I shared the video via email.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Has anything like this happened while not online?

5. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I am not sure since I am often multi-tasking. I will have to try one function at a time. It appears I need to be more focused and document these events. The whole thing began with viewing my personal images that were downloaded to hard drive and since I generally keep a browser of two open most of the time it's hard to say. Sorry, I am the add type. It has it's perils.

6. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I am not sure as I often stop one thing and start another so I could have been online. I loaded another image on the same webpage
    http://mehp.tripod.com/computer_screen_shots.html
    It's a photo I was viewing and managed to hit print screen in time as it only lasts a second. I have no clue what would cause it and if it's a problem.
    Thanks

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

My money is on your video / graphics card over heating.

Please provide the following:
    brand, model & model # of your computer, or its motherboard
    brand, model & model # of: CPU, ram / memory, video card; hard disk drive [ HDD ]
    Capacity of HDD; amount of free space on C: partition; size of C: partition
    antimalware program [ s ] installed on your computer
    If anything is over clocker, please reset it / them to normal clocking.

If the computer to which you refer is the one in your computer specs, WHICH HP Pavillion?

I've used OCCT to evaluate CPUs & GPUs.
    http://www.ocbase.com/

Best of success.

RF123

8. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 5/11/2012 11:52:04 AM

Processor
    1.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

System Model
    HP-Pavilion NC686AA-ABA a6700y
    System Serial Number: MXX91706ZG
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: ECS Nettle3 2.2
    Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.23 10/08/2008

Memory Modules

4032 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

C Drive
    500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    278.85 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

D Drive
    13.1 GB with 1.63 GB free

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

m:
    Thanks for providing the requested information.

RF123

10. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I was on a website and the bars or dense lines occurred and remained, had to close browser and reopen it. Worked okay. I'm not clear on the link you suggested. Should I download and run it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

OCCT is a program I use to evalute CPUs & GPUs. The test streses the CPU & GPU. If you run the test, which can take an hour for each PU, you need to be at the computer. Increased stress causes increased heat. There is a risk that you will damage the PU by stressing it.

Whether or not you "should" run the test is a question only you can answer.

When did you upgrade from V to W7?

For how long have you owned this computer? If you were / are not the original owner, when was the computer manufactured?

Is this your computer?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3856269&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&task=&lang=en&cc=us

If so, do you feel comfortable poking around inside? That would require a knowledge of electrostatic concepts; comfort working with electronic components; & other technical skills.

If so, you could check the seating of the video card; look for dust accumulation; verify that the graphics fan card [ if present ] is spinning. Some grahics cards don't have a fan; they have a radiator. How many case fans has your computer?

RF123

12. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Yes that's my computer. I upgraded June of 2012. Bought compute in May of 2009. I was having trouble with it, blue screens with messages. I have to look up the records to see what they replaced, processor and something else. Oh dear, I am so scattered these days. Caring for my husband as a full time caregiver and having so many interruptions that it's hard to keep up. I am looking for the information. Anyway, there was a reason I upgraded to windows 7 but for the life of me I can't tell you right now. LOL!

Okay, more info, motherboard and memory card reader had to be replaced and that solved the blue screen messages (June of 2012). Now it was mentioned it was most likely the video/graphics card overheating. Maybe I need to take it in as it's under warranty. Will give tech a call in the morning and see what they say.
    Thanks

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

support hp page is from HP. I asked if the computer displayed is your computer.
    Yes, please visit the page.

When did you upgrade from WV to W7?
    Did the problem occur in WV?
    How long after you upgraded to W7 did the problem begin?

Which browser were you using with WV?

Can you relate the onset of the problem to a hardware install or removal; program install or removal; program [ Windows, antimalware, other ] update?
    Check Windows Updates
    Control Panel > upper right, view by > select large icons
    Open Windows Update
    Upper left, left click on the history link.

Look for updates with a date within a week of the problem onset.

Which browser do you use?
    If you use IE, which version?
    You can try using IE with no add ons
    start > all programs / programs > accessories > system tools > IE no add ons

If you use FireFox
    start > all programs / programs > Mozilla FF > M FF [ safe mode ].

Also try to re-produce the problem with no browsers open.

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

15. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

I will try that. Right now I can't find my backup disks I created for vista and can't find my windows 7 upgrade disks. Since I've looked everywhere I must now assume they got accidentally tossed. My main concern is getting back up copies from Microsoft if that's possible. Should I take my computer in I need the backups in case something goes wrong only I don't know who to contact, Microsoft?
    Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!