1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange BSoD (STOP: 0x000000C2)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Juice13610, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Juice13610

Juice13610 Thread Starter

I have a user who is getting a blue screen that references the following stop codes;

0x000000C2
    0x00000000
    0x80000000

I looked around but it seemed like a lot of people's issues were resolved by replacing the memory. So here is what I did;

The laptop is an HP 6710b;
    - Completely replaced the memory - BSoD still happens
    - CHKDSK /F - BSoD still happens
    - Latest patches removed - BSoD still happens
    - take hard drive out and put into a different, identical 6710b - problem resolved.
    | BIOS version is the same on both laptops

Any suggestions?

2. kniht

kniht

Go into the Windows Directory and open the 'minidump' folder. Zip-up a few of the latest dump files and upload to your next post using the 'Manage Attachments' feature.

We can try some debugging.

3. Juice13610

Here it is. Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. kniht

kniht

Debug points to cdudf_xp.sys

"cdudf_xp.sys file information

The process CD-UDF NT Filesystem Driver belongs to the software DirectCD or Drag-to-Disc or Easy CD Creator 5 Basic or Roxio Easy Media Creator or Easy CD & DVD Creator by Roxio (www.roxio.com) or Sonic Solutions (www.sonic.com)."

Check this out:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=30180

5. Juice13610

Wow thank you so much. 2 more questions; could you tell me what utility you used to view the dmp files, and did you check multiple dmp files to come to this conclusion?

6. kniht

kniht

I used the Debugging Tool for Windows (WinDbg)

Viewed all the crash dumps and all pointed to cdudf_xp.sys

I see you have the Sygate Firewall installed on your system (smc.exe). Don't think it has anything to do with your problem other than a possible conflict with cdudf_xp.sys Might want to be sure you have the latest update for the firewall.

7. Juice13610

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it!!

8. controlstore

controlstore

Hi there, if 'kniht' is still about (or anybody else) that can view debug info and let me know what is causing my laptop to have this same problem I would be verrrrrry grateful.

Attached are dump files and a pic of BSoD. Many Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. kniht

kniht

Am checking them out now. Will get back to ya'.

10. kniht

kniht

Probably caused by : avgwfp.sys

Do you have AVG Pro installed? This seems to be the driver for the AVG firewall. If you have AVG Pro and are using another firewall it could be a conflict.

Try disabling AVG temporarily and see if the problem continues.

11. controlstore

controlstore

Hi kniht, thanks for your quick reply. I hav got AVG Pro installed but have had it for over a year now and never had any problems- and have not installed any new virus or firewall software, but I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Just a note, after I posted yesterday I put on Nokia PC Suite and I got the BSoD, I then switched it off and retried and same problem- and thinkin about it, I always got the BSoD when I left the room with my phone (which was connected via bluetooth) so the disconnection may have caused the BSoD, what do you think, was there any indication of this in the dump files.

Thanks again for your help so far!!

12. kniht

kniht

Do you have AVG Internet Security or AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall installed?

I noticed in a previous minidump there was a indication you had Sygate Firewall installed.

If so, run only one firewall.

I see no indication in the dump files of a problem with Nokia PC Suite.

13. controlstore

controlstore

I have AVG Internet security which includes AV/Firewall/AS version 7.5. I looked up the sygate reference and it appears it is part of the Norton internet suite. Norton was installed when I first received my system but I uninstalled immediately and like I say have had no problems up until now. What was the sygate file mentioned in the debug info??? (I also checked the task manager but couldn't see anything refering to this prog, do you know what the process or service might be??) Though the crash occured several times yesterday- it has not happened today, I will try my Nokia PC Suite theory tonight and update you tomorrow.

Thanks for following this through with me- its much appreciated!!!

14. kniht

kniht

When you uninstalled Norton did you use the Norton Removal Tool?

Here's how to completely uninstall Norton:

1.) Run the standard uninstaller through Add/Remove Programs.
    2.) Run Norton Removal Tool , the Symantec Norton Removal Tool regardless of whether #1 fails or not.
    3.) Run RegSeeker to clean out the remaining registry entries.
    4.) Run CCleaner to remove the junk files.

When you run RegSeeker click on 'Clean the Registry' and only delete entries that pertain to Norton or Sygate. In RegSeeker be sure 'Backup before Deletion' is checked so you can restore the deletions if necessary. Also create a Restore Point before running RegSeeker in case something goes south.

By doing this procedure at least we will be confident the problems aren't caused by a conflict of leftover Norton entries.

15. ZerED

ZerED

Hello,
    maybe someone could help me with same error on my notebook (Asus Z96S)?
    I checked my ram with memtest (everything ok), updated drivers and BIOS.
    Also in last days sometime appears 0x00000050 error too...
    I've zipped and attached my minidum files.

Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice