1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange computer crash when playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by fatalen, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

When I'm playing almost any full screen game, after a while my monitor will go black, say "entering sleep mode" and then go into sleep mode, my computer is still on and a couple of seconds after this my sound will just turn into a continuous buzz, but my computer will still be on.
    I have found no way to get my computer out of this state without hard shutting down and restarting.
    I'm not sure what section to put this in put gaming seems to be the most relevant.
    I' not sure what is causing this, but I think it might be my gpu, but I'm not going to buy a new gpu unless I'm 100% sure that it's my gpu causing the problem.
    Can anyone explain why this may be happening? or better yet how to fix it?
    But please don't just give me some registry cleaner that you have to buy. I've had enough of people just giving me a link, and saying "this will fix it" when I have a registry cleaner, and I've used it and it hasn't fixed the problem.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Any registry cleaners are a bad idea in my opinion and you are unlikely to be advised to use on from here, and certainly unlikely to be advised to buy one!

The problem could be a heat problem, could be the GPU failing, could be a problem with the PSU or something else.

What is the exact make and model of the machine, assuming its a 'big brand' name like HP, Dell etc?
    If its a self / custom build what is the make and model of the motherboard, CPU, graphics card, RAM, power supply etc. The more information you can give us the better. What operating system are you using?
    Are all you drivers and software fully up to date?
    How old is the machine?

Download and install HWMonitor, then run the program. Screenshot it and post the screenshot in a reply here.

3. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

I can't connect to that link for some reason :/

EDIT: I downloaded it from CNET, my computer is windows 7 64 bit

[​IMG]

4. Rosemary16

Rosemary16

To try to conserve power, turn the brightness down so that you can compensate for this issue and get more life out of the monitor. If that doesn't work or you cannot set the brightness, try reinstalling the GPU.

It also sounds like the system idle process is malfunctioning. If this is the case, do not end that proccess unless you want the computer to explode or something really bad to happen. You can also try to turn down the hardware accelleration to 'Basic'.

5. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

What do you mean by reinstalling the gpu? You mean the drivers or the actual card?

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I have no idea where Rosemary gets the idea that ending a process will make your computer explode or anything else particularly bad, the most likely problem is it would crash and have to be restarted!

Anyone, onto the problem.

Your GPU is a bit on the hot side, when you took that screenshot was the machine just sitting idle or where you doing anything with it? I would expect the GPU to be around 1/2 that temperature if it was sitting idle, infact I would consider that a little warm if it was under heavy load.

What is the make and model of the PC?
    Do you / have you ever cleaned out the dust from inside the case? Dust build up can easily cause heat problems.

7. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

Yes it was at idle, it averages around 88 degrees when playing an in browser game.
    Cleaning out the dust was the first thing I tried, it had no effect.
    It's an acer computer

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    How old is it the machine?
    I take it it is still all the standard hardware in it, i.e. you have upgraded or added anything?

To confirm that the temperatures are the cause, you can try running the machine with the side panel off and also put a small desk fan blowing directly into the case. This will bring your temps down and if the problem goes away then we will have to see if there are any ways we can improve the airflow through the case.

On the inside, does it have a fan at the front of the machine which blows air into the case?

9. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

I don't have a deskfan, plus one wouldn't fit to the side of it. And no, the fans it has are one at the back near the top and one of the side.

10. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You wouldn't actually fit the fan to the case, you would simply take the side of then stand the desk fan on next to the machine with it blowing into the open side. However, as you don't have a desk fan that is not an option.

You could just try running it with the side case of and measure the temps again, this should reduce compenent temperature a bit as the hot air can escape alot easier.

Regarding the two fans you have, which way does each of them blow air? I am assuming the one at the back, top blow air out of the case, what about the one on the side?

Ideally you want at least 1 blowing air in (preferably at the bottom, front of the case and one blowing air out, usually at the top rear (common setup).

11. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

lol, misunderstanding, i meant theres no room next to my computer to put a fan.
    wouldn't taking the side off make the circulation of air in my machine worse, essentially making the cooling less effective?
    Um, I think the top rear one blows out while the side one blows in.
    My computer doesn't have a fan at the front bottom, the HDDs are there instead...
    I just realised how badly designed this case is.... I think the psu is at the top rear, which would be limiting that airflow...

This problem has only appeared rather recently, and I've had my computer about 9 months. My original idea was that the fan on the gpu had gone but hwmonitor shows it's rotating at a fairly good rpm.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    :)

No, removing the side panel will not reduce cooling efficiency. The air circulation needed for cooling is required because it is in an enclosed space, without the side panel it is not enclosed and will actually move more air than the fans could. However, the downside of running like that all the time is that it is wide open to dirt, foreign objects and other electro-static problems, but it is fine to do for a short while to test.

Having the PSU at the top rear is pretty standard practice, so nothing to worry about there.

What is the cable management like on the inside of the case? i.e. you have a load of cables connecting various components together, are they just sitting all over the place inside the case or are they secured to the outer edges at all? It may be beneficial if you can take a quick picture of the inside of the machine and post it up here.

13. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

The picture will have to wait until the lighting is better.
    Um cable management... from what I remember they are joined together, but not attached to the side of the case.
    Btw, the graphics card is a nvidia geforce gt320. which isn't in production any more, not sure if it's just an outdated model or if it's another reason. It worked extremely well beforehand, but ever since this problem has been occurring, at the same time a drop in my computer's performance occurred, so I now get fps lag when recording with fraps when my games are on low detail, when I used to be able to go 60 fps constantly running high detail and fraps. Not sure if this helps or not

14. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It is possible that the graphics card has developed a fault, the probability of this is increase a bit in your case due to the temps it has been running at.

Is the GT320 a card you added yourself or did it come with the machine?

15. fatalen

fatalen Thread Starter

It came with the machine. But they temperatures are never below 75 degrees, which you said is unusually high. I'm not sure what causes that to occur though. The card was fine for over half a year, surely it would've gone bad faster if it was running above recommended temperature constantly.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!