1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange emoticon in Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I just replaced Outlook Express with Windows Live Mail on my XP desktop. Today I was writing an e-mail and happened to enter "(?)" at the end of one sentence. WLM changed it to and "ASL" (age, sex, location) emoticon you see in the attachment. This is NOT one of the emoticons on the emoticon list that WLM makes available. I can find no options addressing autotext or replacing characters with emoticons. So why/how is WLM changing my typed character into an emoticon I don't use and don't want, and how do I stop it from doing that?

Attached Files:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hey Don,
    AFAIK you can't disable a specific keystroke emoticon in WLM.
    That one is one of a bunch of "hidden" emoticons that are leftovers from Windows Live Messenger ( and no, I have no idea of why they are even in the program in the first place and especially why they are "hidden", they just are :eek:).

You can disable ALL keystroke emoticons via Options>Mail>Compose tab and unchecking "Convert special key strokes to emoticons".
    If you like them and use them, leave the option on and instead you can use Ctrl+Z to block the ones you don't like on a case by case basis as soon as they appear. It's a "workaround" that IMO shouldn't be needed (there SHOULD be a simple "off" for unwanted emoticons), but it's an MS mail product so you're stuck with the way things work, unlike T..., Nah, nevermind, you don't want me to say it :D.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Well, Tom, Harpy New Year! Long time no hear from.

When I say I recently switched to WLM from OE, I didn't include the detail that it is NOT WLM 12; it's WLM 09. WLM 12 will not, of course, run on XP; 09 will. The reason I installed 09 (on both my XP desktop AND my Win 7 laptop) is because, as you know, I've been having problems with e-mails containing photos. When I try to forward them using OE OR THUNDERBIRD(!), the pix are changed from embedded to attachments, leaving a bunch of empty pix placeholders + the text under them in the message. When I try to forward them using WLM 12 on my laptop, the pix are converted to a "slide show" with the pix lined up left to right in the message header, and the message body has the usual empty placeholders and text. In T-Bird on the laptop, they're also converted to attachments with empty placeholders in the message. When researching this problem early this week, I stumbled on a thread in another forum where the guy said he had the same problem and solved it by downgrading to WLM 09. Did a search to see if anybody still had ver. 09 available, and found it on FileHippo.com. The guy was right! I immediately tested it with an e-mail that came to me with 14 embedded photos that I could not forward because of the problems described above. It worked perfectly; went out EXACTLY as it came in, with all pictures embedded and the text under each intact, no empty placeholders.

Anyhow, thanks for responding. However, in WLM 09 at least, there is no such "Convert special key strokes to emoticons" checkbox. I had expected to find something like that the first time I got the "ASL" emoticon, but could not find it anywhere.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I think it was either WLM 10 or 11 that they finally put in the option, so it looks like you're out of luck for that.
    The Ctrl+Z should still work though to convert them back to normal keystrokes when they do show up.

Glad to see you finally found something to solve the forward images problem at least. Now if you could only find a program that does everything right at the same time, life would be perfect. :D

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

It's no big deal to use Ctrl/Z, which I know is the "undo" hotkey command in Windows. It's a minor glitch in a program that solves a MAJOR bug (yes, the conversion of embedded photos to attachments -- DESPITE that option not being checked in WLM 11/12 -- is a BUG. . . which, like so many of their bugs, M$ will probably never admit exists and will never fix,

Of course, like everybody else, I wish I could somehow take the best parts of every program and make my own customized version. I've also been searching for decades for the perfect car. Let me know if you know where I might find one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice