[Solved] Strange file association problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ace4me

I have what seems to be a very strange file association problem that has me baffled. One particular association has never worked on my system. ** Solved - see added comments at the bottom of this post **

I started with Office 97 and Windows 98, and I recently upgraded to Windows ME and Office 2000 Premium. I then installed the service updates to Office 2000 and the problem has persisted throughout.

Here is the problem:

If I double click on an excel spreadsheet file (example.xls), Microsoft Excel starts, but then gives an error message that it cannot find the file. I can then use File/Open and open the file just fine. I can also just start Excel and open the file using either File/Open or pick it from the most recently used file list. But double clicking on the file consistently starts Excel then gives a 'cannot find file' message after Excel is started.

What I have tried:

Aside from the upgrades above, I have deleted and re-established the association several times. I have tried editing the association in the advanced screens based on some things I found on the Microsoft support site related to other association problems. Using the Excel 2000 software I created a brand new spreadsheet for testing, in case my problem was related to the older files, but I get the same symptoms. None of the above fixed my problem.

One extra thought:

When the error comes up it does not give the name of the file it cannot find - it just says something like 'cannot find file'. I have assumed that it is my spreadsheet file that it can't find, since it doesn't open my file, but perhaps there is a system file of some kind it is looking for and therefore it is aborting the file-open process. Perhaps the association isn't the problem (yikes).

I guess I could totally delete and re-install Excel, but I'm not sure it is safe to do that since I have installed the two big service packs and a number of smaller updates to Office 2000 already.

Any ideas, comments, thoughts or help? thanks, John A

** No sooner did I post the above than I found the answer elsewhere in the forums by searching differently. In case someone else runs into this, the solution was to go into Excel, select Tools/Options, and uncheck a box labelled 'Ignore other applications'. I don't understand it, but it works. :)

Didn't see the "solved" at first, and thanks for the info. Putting it in Business Applications, nontheless...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online