1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Strange files in my comp

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mattyk72, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattyk72

mattyk72 Thread Starter

I have found some strange files in my computer, picture files and movies of a sexual nature that I know I did not download. How are they getting into my computer? There is only 1 other person that uses the computer besides myself, and I know for sure that neither of us have downloaded these files. Please help? Where are they coming from?

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to TSG matty,my sugestion would be to go to www.moosoft.com
    download "the cleaner" install it on your system,click on the update button and let it d/l the latest dets,then scan your system with it.
    if your positive that no-one else has downloaded these files,then you may have a trojan,the cleaner will find it and nuke it.
    post back here with your results.
    good luck;)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi mattyk72, welcome to TSG.....

What directory did you find the files in?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you right click on some of those files and select "properties", you should see when the file was "created". This might give you some indication of a pattern of activity which would narrow down who is using the computer and what they are doing when they get installed.

You should also make sure that "install on demand" is UNchecked in Internet Options > Advanced; this should keep websites from downloading without confirmation of the user.

5. mattyk72

mattyk72 Thread Starter

Thanks, I installed the cleaner and hopefully it will do the trick. I've had some problems in the past with trojan horses, worms, viruses, etc. I recently had to reformat my computer, this stuff is a pain in the butt.

I read somewhere that with a trojan horse someone can 'use' your computer to store files among other things, is this true?

6. $teve

$teve

yep.........with an un-seen trojan horse server in your system the sender can do anything he wants to........he has more control over your box than you do,if you have a web cam or mike,he can turn them on and listen/watch you........he knows your passwords,quite possibly your bank details if you use the net for banking.
    i got one a couple of years back,thats how i got into the tech forums.......i asked,learned......and now i try to help others with "burned" fingers.
    it may not be your problem but its very similar to what i had.
    hope ive helped you out.
    good luck anyway,and let us know the results.

7. $teve

$teve

oh....i forget to mench.......from your puter the host can send the same trojan to other users comps.......and you are liable to be prosecuted even though your an innocent party.......so,if your reading this and dont feel the need for any security/firewall to protect your system................THINK AGAIN!

sleep well,and dont have nightmares,cos after all.......it wont happen to you........will it?:rolleyes:

8. mattyk72

mattyk72 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help, I used the cleaner and it found a few strange things, and I installed a firewall. Thanks again!

9. $teve

$teve

your welcome matty.......anytime;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice