1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange graphical effect in Half Life 2 and Oblivion

Discussion in 'Games' started by RoryBecker, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoryBecker

RoryBecker Thread Starter

I am having some very strange effects in both Half life 2 and oblivion after installing my new Geforce 7600 GS

I have included a Halflife2 pic.

Basically it's like the models are screwed up drawing the textures on the wrong triangles

Just look at the (alleged) tree and also my Gun if you can make it out.

Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks for any help

--
    Rory

Attached Files:

2. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

You may have done this already, but the first thing to try is to download the newest drivers for your video card and see if that helps.

3. RoryBecker

Yeah... I've already tried the 91.Something from Inno3d(Board Manufacturer) and the 93.Something from NVidia's own site.

Performance is not bad but this graphical glitch makes the games themselves unplayable.

3 possibilities suggest themselves

1.> This card cannot run properly on my PC (Low Power/Old Model/Low Chip Mhz)
    2.> The Card is knackered somehow
    3.> My Drivers/DirectX are knackered somehow

I have Checked DirectX with DXDiag (I think that's what it was called) and everything checked out. So I doubt DirectX is broken.

I'm really not sure what to do. should my machine be capable of using this card.

Should I RMA the card?

Any thoughts welcome :)

4. dragjack

dragjack

check your card settings and try lowering specs for it. Try setting up a custom profile for each game in the Nvidia panel.

5. RoryBecker

I tried lowering every setting I could think of, both in the nvidia control panel and within the game. this doeslower the quality of verious things in the game but at each level the same basic flaw occurs.

Interestingly I do not seem to get this flaw when I run Quake3.

I guess it could simply be that HL2 and Oblivion are trying to take advantage of (possibly flawed) features of my card which Quake3 simply does not use.

I will try again tonight with UT2004 although this is also quite an old game now.

I will also try transferring the card into my wife's PC (PIV 3.0 with 1GB RAM) to see if the same thing happens on that machine.

I guess we'll learn a few things tonight.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

6. RoryBecker

Ok after a little playing around I found the solution to my problem.

I used a program called rivatuner 2.01 to change a compatability setting for my AGP port. see screenshot.

a simple reboot later and all is fixed.

well I say that.... I have discovered that Oblivion isn't going to work on my PC as while I have a nive Nvidia 7600GS with 256Mb Ram, It's in a rather underpowered PIII 800 with 800Mb Ram. but the graphical errors are gone in all games.

Thanks to all for advice. and I hope my information helps someone else.

Attached Files:

7. dragjack

dragjack

excellent news Rory!! you can mark this thread solved if you wish.

this specific setting can also be changed through motherboard BIOS apparently.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!