1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange IE8 Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Davec, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400F Desktop
    •AMD Phenom II 945 Quad-Core processor
    3.00GHz, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache

•8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)

•1TB SATA hard drive
    •
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 Series Graphics
    With 512MB DDR3 dedicated graphics memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I live in an area with only dial up access. Firefox and other programs have no problem but IE8 will load 1 or 2 pages and then the box comes up to redial even though I'm still connected. (And still browsing with FF) And the strange thing is neither of my 2 connections show in the connect using pull down. Any ideas. This is my first Win 7 machine and I'm still looking to see where they've moved things.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. Davec

No luck. It didn't connect at all. After the reset it just went to "work offline". When I uncheck that I get the box with no connections listed.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is making no sense at all to me. How about in Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN Settings.... I think IE Reset resets those, but there should be none of the 3 choices selected there. One exception is that I've heard recently that if you have AOL dial-up you may need to select "automatically detect."

5. Davec

Not on a LAN or AOL but that may have done it. The sight I use exploder worked this morning. If it stays fixed for a couple of days I'll mark solved. Thanks for the (rather odd) suggestion!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When logic doesn't work, try odd. :D

7. Davec

Back to IE not connecting and the blank "connect using" pull down this morning.I'll try disabling the wireless, removing the network that was temporarily set up at the office, and see if that makes a difference. I'd already disabled the LAN connection previously.

8. Davec

Did the above and set Exploder to "Don't dial a connection" and while still no connections showing in the pull down the site worked this morning. Will try agin a few times and see if it continues to work.

9. Davec

The above works. I still wonder why I can't get a connection listed in the box but I'll marked sovled.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!