1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange Internet Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RoboEngineerGirl, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoboEngineerGirl

RoboEngineerGirl Thread Starter

I got a new laptop a few months ago and I've had a lot of problems with my wireless internet connection (I have not tried wired).

Often, I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network, even when the computer should still be connected. The computer appears to be connected to the network, but is unable to reach any pages. People on the same network at the same time do not have similar problems. I regularly use two networks - home and school - and while home has more frequent problems, I have begun to experience the same issues on the school network.

I've also started to encounter some problems with html and css formatting display in the browser, particularly in tandem with the connection problems. Websites seem to be unable to display correctly - almost like there is no formatting. After refreshing a few times, there is no improvement, and often, I lose the connection to the site altogether. This occurs across all browsers, though I most regularly use firefox.

For example, in this text entry box, I see the alt-text instead of the pictures for "Bold," "Italic," etc.

I would really appreciate any help!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 7973 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 931348 MB, Free - 785117 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., 700Z3C/700Z5C
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try ethernet and tell us if you get the same results.

3. RoboEngineerGirl

I am having the same formatting problems with the Ethernet connection. I can't speak to the disconnects yet. I will let you know if I encounter anything similar.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would you post the following tests when the internet is working OK, and then repeat ALL the tests when the internet disconnects.
    Make sure you also indicate on the reply which tests are for what condition.

lets see the following please

ipconfig /all
    Three Ping tests

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should work for all windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R
    For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

then type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Ping Tests
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

This should work for all windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R
    For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

Type the following command
    Ping {then a space and then add the number that is shown against the item labelled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results in a reply here
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In addition to what Wayne asked for ...

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. RoboEngineerGirl

I apologize for the delay. Here is the information in a notepad attachment. The first entries are from the school wireless connection. The second from a "working" connection at home (I still was unable to reach some pages). The third is from the non-functioning connection. There was still formatting problems on sites during the working connection.

I used Kaspersky when I first got the computer, but had a lot of performance issues with it and have since removed it. I now use Avast. I will try the method you recommend and let you know the results.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

7. RoboEngineerGirl

I tried the TCP/IP stack repairs and did not have success. I am still getting "disconnected."

8. RoboEngineerGirl

Please...any help is MUCH appreciated!

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    exact model of the samsung PC

we should update the driver

at home , can you connect to the router by cable and see if it disconnects then

10. RoboEngineerGirl

My PC is a Samsung Series 7 Chronos. The driver for the network adapter says it's fully up to date, unless I'm missing something. I've yet to find an ethernet cable to connect to my router at home (working on it!), but the problem has continued to get worse, even at school. Connected (even with ethernet) I can barely open any pages the first time, sometimes having to click refresh 10 or more times to get it to display properly - and sometimes it won't display properly at all. It looks like it's struggling with css (meaning that pages have no formatting at all). If I click refresh, I often get the "Connection was Reset" error. This cycle continues on each refresh, until it occasionally comes up. Any site that uses flash or video is unable to load.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the PC manufacturer's web site. If you already have the correct driver reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

12. RoboEngineerGirl

I reinstalled the wireless driver - no change in performance. The issues also occur with the wired connections.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What browser(s)?

14. RoboEngineerGirl

Firefox mostly. Same results in Chrome and IE though.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe Kaspersky did not go away cleanly. Run the Removal Tool.

Maybe Avast is corrupt. Uninstall it and run the Removal Tool. You can reinstall it if desired after testing.

Wouldn't hurt to then run those post # 5 repairs again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!