1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange Issue XP Only

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AdamP, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

I am having a very strange issue on my two XP machines, an Acer AspireOne netbook and a Dell Dimension 8250. They are both pretty much just guest computers but clean and running XP SP3. The Dell is using a 10/100 Cat5 connection and the Acer is wireless G.

Now on to the issue, these two computers are ridiculously slow when browsing the internet, whether I'm using IE, FF, or Chrome they creep. On the Dell I attempted clean up and found nothing so I finally gave up and did a complete nuke and pave. Still having the exact same issue. It was so slow in fact that when I attempted to download Chrome after the n&p the 500kb download was going to take over an hour. But the transfer rate was 142Kb/s.

When attempting to browse on this computers it takes several refreshes and half the time they still wont load all the images on the pages. However pings are fine, absolutely no loss, and return times in the 20-30ms range. My other computers are perfectly fine 1 Windows 7/8 desktop, 2 Win7 laptops, 1 Backtrack 5 PC, 1 Mac OSX machine. They all run perfect, no lag, no problems. These machines are also running through two switches after the router unlike the Dell which is running direct to the router, I have also bypassed the router and gone direct to the modem. Swapped Cat5 cables, Pretty much everything I could think of. There is no security on the computers at the time, no proxy servers. I'm completely at a loss as to what the issue could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. raybro

raybro

Sounds like you have tried most the common things and some not so common. Some thoughts/questions:

Did this just start happening out of nowhere?

Has either machine ever ran normally relative to the problem you described?

How have you measured the download/upload speed. (try http://www.speedtest.net/ )

3. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

It started about a month ago, I first noticed it on the Acer, which I at first suspected was something like wifi interference causing packet loss, but after running a continuous ping with no loss I ruled that out. And all the other laptops were running fine wirelessly. The desktop I'm not sure when it started exactly because I never use it myself. I haven't been able to run a speed test due to how slow they are loading pages if they load at all. But the speeds are perfectly normal on my other PC's I even had it monitored periodically over the course of several weeks and the speed fluctuations were minimal. I'm truly at a loss, it is only happening on these two machines and the only thing either of them have in common is XP.

4. raybro

raybro

Definitely strange behavior. :confused:

Perhaps something associated with a recent windows update. Did it start coincident with the 2nd Tuesday of the month? (Do you use automatic update?)

Possible malware. Run HJT scan. Get it here. Install HJT to its default location

Close all open windows, including browser.

Run HJT and select "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy the entire log file content and paste into the body of your next reply.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING!!!

There are only a few Trusted Adviser's authorized the analyze HJT log files, so be patient. I will notify one of them after your HJT log file is posted.

Download Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware programs. Install and update both programs, then wait for instructions from one of the HJT authorized HJT analysts before running either program.

5. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

I'm sure the HJT log wont do any good for the simple face that there is literally nothing on the computer. Which is why I'm ruling out updates as well because its running entirely too slow to update anything so its still a base install of SP3 with no updates aside from Internet Explorer which I had to download on another computer and install using a jump drive. Which reminds me I also cannot transfer from other computers to that one over my network or pull things from my network drive because it takes about an hour for every 100kb to transfer. But here is the HJT log for whatever good it will do. I'm not worried about the Netbook at this time, I just want to get desktop working because I have people come over all the time to use a PC and I really don't like letting people use the ones I use on a daily basis.

6. raybro

raybro

Have to agree with you. It looks pretty lean. I'm fresh out of ideas and its my bedtime. If anything else comes to mind I'll post again... Good luck

7. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

I appreciate it. Another thing worth noting is I've tried different DNS, as well as another NIC card on the Dell. Still the same issues. Like I said I was able to come to another computer, download Chrome, put it on a jump drive, and begin installing it on the the Dell before Google would even load.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Is the local firewall running?

9. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

no, i disabled the firewall.

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Why have you run HijackThis from the H drive? Try running it from C.

1- Run HijackThis again.
    2- Click on Open the Misc Tools section from the Main Menu.
    3- Check the List also minor sections (full) and List empty sections (complete) boxes.
    4- Click on Generate StartupList log.
    5- Copy and paste the StartupList log from Notepad into your next reply.

11. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

its a fresh installation on xp, no other software has been installed other then a few drivers. if i check the process list from task manager it actually shows less then that. it doesn't matter what drive i run it from i get the same result. But the information you requested. I hope you can help.

12. Phantom010

Tried contacting the ISP about it?

13. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

No, it doesn't really seem like their issue. All my other machines are running perfectly fine.

14. Phantom010

Can you post a ipconfig /all report for a normal working computer and one for a problem computer?

Click Start > Run > type CMD.

Click OK.

In the Command Prompt, type ipconfig /all.

Press Enter.

Copy (right-click and Select All > press Enter) the entire content of that window and paste it into your next reply.

15. AdamP

AdamP Thread Starter

Working PC
    Non-Working PC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice