1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange monitor problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eratoxeno, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eratoxeno

eratoxeno Thread Starter

I have a Packard Bell Viseo 200WS, 20" TFT LCD display, with 1600x900 resolution at 60 Hz. When I switch it on, the power light comes on, but usually (80% of the time) there is no picture from the desktop computer, just a blank screen. If I wait anywhere from 1 to 45 minutes, the picture may suddenly appear and I can log in as normal (on Windows 7). Once the picture appears, everything works as normal and I can use the computer for hours without a problem. Once the monitor is turned off, the same problem usually follows when I try to turn it on again.

As a test, I turned the monitor off when I was watching a movie. When I turned the monitor on again I got the blank screen, but the sound was intermittent, repeatedly coming on for a short 1 second burst before turning off again (the speakers are part of the monitor). It seems as if this problem revolves around some power connector flickering back and forth, although it's strange that when it starts working properly, there is never a problem.

I have tried updating the graphics (Geforce 9200) and monitor drivers, but this seems to be a hardware issue. I will try switching the power and monitor<-->desktop cables for the ones on my Dad's comp. Any ideas, on the problem and how I can fix it?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Monitors are pretty cheap and few places repair them anymore, and those that do charge almost the price of a new monitor.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you tried leaving the monitor on all the time and just turning the computer on and off?

------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Triple6.

19" - 22" widescreen LCD monitors are pretty cheap to replace.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. eratoxeno

eratoxeno Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers guys. Rather than get a new monitor I hooked up a spare TV via the VGA port, and it works alright. There is a little problem with overscan which I can't seem to correct with my Nvidia Geforce 9200 menu. All I could do is reposition the image; I couldn't zoom out to make it smaller. Also the resolution is only 1360x768 which sucks a bit... would have preferred at least 1600.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The TV is working, so you know for sure now that the issue is with the monitor.

Windows isn't detecting and giving you the option to install an INF file for the TV like it does for a monitor, so that's probably going to limit the number of resolution settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!