1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange Opera 12 window

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dspguru, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dspguru

dspguru Thread Starter

Windows updated W7 Home Premium on my Samsung Netbook last week. Immediately following that, Opera began to misbehave. Specifically, it comes up in a sort of full-screen mode, not the normal full-screen using F11 and ESC, but literally full-screen. Opera still shows tabs and buttons, but it has no title-bar, it hides the Windows taskbar, has no exit button, and no menus, so even though it works normally (including F11), there is no way to shut it down, other than to use the "Windows" key to force the taskbar to be visible, then right-click on the Opera tab and close it manually!

Downloading and installing a fresh copy of Opera 12 did not fix this. Cleaning the operaprefs.ini file out of the system and then re-installing Opera fixed it for about an hour, then the "Opera Standard" window disappeared again, along with the menus and the W7 task bar.

I have been using Opera since it was first introduced. I run it on my desktop PC, also using W7, without any of these problems. But on the netbook it's driving me crazy - all my controls are hidden and disabled.

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else even seen this? It's probably not Kiosk mode, because I still have the address bar visible and working. Opera Help says "Click on the big red 'O' in the upper corner" for system menus, but this oddball version does not have that symbol, either.

2. dspguru

dspguru Thread Starter

Update: I suspected that the problem was in the operaprefs.ini file. I also knew that would be regenerated if it was deleted, so I moved it to the desktop, then restarted Opera. Lo and behold, here are all my menus, taskbar and normal windows title-bar back!

A comparison of the old and new ini files found the following things in the old one but not in the new one:
    ----------------------------------
    [User Prefs]
    Accept Cookies Session Only=1
    Enable Cookies=3
    Hotlist Alignment=1
    Special effects=0
    Show Hidden Toolbars While Customizing=0

[Windows]
    Bookmarks Panel Window=0,0,940,467,2
    Speed Dial Configuration Dialog=0,0,564,478,0
    New Preferences Dialog=189,24,645,521,0
    Content Block Dialog=251,63,522,422,0
    Cookie Manager Dialog=239,57,545,455,0
    Addressbar Overlay Dialog=128,24,309,196,0
    Rich Menu Window=814,463,170,131,0
    Close All Confirm Dialog=322,206,380,142,0
    Customize Toolbar Dialog=159,55,634,515,0
    Treeview Window=319,298,386,41,0
    Go To Page Dialog=303,211,418,155,0

[Colors]
    Skin=#f0f0f0

[HotListWindow]
    ActiveTab=Windows
    -----------------------------
    Of these, only the Skin=#f0f0f0 entry in the colors section looks suspicious. The color value is ordinary enough, but the skin keyword is odd. Opera doesn't really use "skins" (they call them "Themes") and I certainly did not load one, at least not intentionally. So where did this come from? I also don't actually know what the Hotlist Window entry does. Maybe that was the problem...

Anyhow, the good news is that if you have this annoying problem, just delete operaprefs.ini and it will go away. That is usually stored in C:\Users\<your user name>l\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera. Note though, that is a 'hidden system' directory. You may have to make it visible in file preferences.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!