1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange problem with display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Caryndf, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caryndf

Caryndf Thread Starter

:eek:
    Thanks in advance for reading. Here is the issue: My computer (Dell Vostro-Windows 7) and monitor (AOC e2243FWK 22" LED) are both less than 1 month old. All drivers are up to date.

The problem is that whenever I am online and I happen to run my mouse across the bottom right hand corner (show desktop) icon and it displays my desktop, I have diagonal white stripes across my screen.

This doesn't happen any other time but only when I am viewing an online page and happen to hit the "show desktop" icon.
    The rest of the time my display is completely normal. I have tried contacting my monitor manufacturer to no avail, as I am sure it isn't my video card.

Any ideas?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds more like a video issue related to how the "show desktop" function works. Could be video driver related, a Direct3D issue, or whatever process is used by that function.

If it were the monitor, it would happen all the time.

An issue that only occurs when using a specific feature, is likely an issue with that feature. In other words, the Windows "show desktop" feature.

3. dai

dai

are you running the drivers that came with the computer when you purchased it

4. Dougx789

Dougx789

Do the white lines continue to show after or only during peek view (your mouse goes over peek at desktop, you move your mouse away then minimise all open windows)?
    Also does this happen if you click the 'show desktop' button or only when you hover your mouse over?
    The white lines are apart of aero and should only be present whilst using the peek feature.

PS
    If white lines continue to show after peek view whilst waiting for a solution to fix this issue you can disable peek view by right-clicking on the show desktop button then left-clicking the peek at desktop option. To view the desktop in the mean time make use of the numerous shortcuts available.. Windows Key+D (shows desktop then same command reopens windows which were open before), Alt+Tab (hold Alt and press tab to cycle through windows including desktop), Right-click on the task bar left-click on show desktop (this option then becomes show open windows once on desktop)

5. Caryndf

Caryndf Thread Starter

Yes, however I did update the video card driver. I thought this may be the problem so I rolled it back to the original driver and I still have the same issue.

6. Caryndf

Caryndf Thread Starter

The white lines show only when I hover my mouse over "show desktop", and not when I click on it or at any other time. I'm not sure what you mean by the white lines are apart of aero during peek feature. Are you saying this is normal? It sure doesn't look normal.

7. dai

dai

if you can roll back the video driver then it was not installed correctly

there should be nothing to roll back to,as current ones need to be uninstalled before installing new ones

with dell the video drivers must come from dell as they usually include other things with them

8. Dougx789

Dougx789

9. Caryndf

Caryndf Thread Starter

What I did was go into Device Manager and clicked on update driver. It updated. There was a roll back function after I did that but not before. Either way, rolled back or updated I have white streaks.

Thanks though!

10. Caryndf

Caryndf Thread Starter

11. Dougx789

Dougx789

Yes this is 'normal' and how it should look.

Please mark the thread as solved.

12. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!