1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange sound coming from CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avishek, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

When I just press the start button in CPU and when it starts sometimes a sound comes from it..previously also a sound used to come.... the sound of fan but recently its making loud sound... all the other things are fine. i can use my PC normally but the sound is worrying me.... . most probably its the sound of the fan.... but why does it make so loud sound sometimes?? its not that it always happens but when it does it makes me afraid... please help

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Can be a fan bearing wearing out.....does it go away after awhile?

3. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

i actually get so afraid that i turn off my PC within 2 or 3 minutes

4. Megabite

Megabite

What sounds is it llike and is this a Desktop?

5. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

yups its desktop.... n its just like spinning fan with buzzing sound

6. Megabite

Megabite

Could be a wire across a fan...best thing is to take the side off the tower and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from

7. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

ok thanx for ur advices ;) i will check it one day

8. dant22185

dant22185

A good cleaning with a compressed air can wouldn’t hurt anything either. May have a lot of excess dirt and dust accumulated around the fans. If the sounds persists I would indeed try to pin point where the sound is coming from. Place some a small amount of pressure with you fingers on each of the fan frames and see if some pressure will quite the noise. Also should be able to feel some vibration if the fan is grinding down bearings or hung on something.

9. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

I just pressed the wall of CPU with my hand and i feel the sound is decreasing.... and i can also feel the vibration...

if its the fan problem then i can clean it up
    but if its something else :( :(

10. lee-mac

lee-mac

The CPU has no mechanical moving parts that could cause vibration mate its most likley a dodgy fan :) could also check to see if the motherboard is secure i had a noise problem once it turned out to be the fans causing my motherboard to vibrate on the motherboard mounts.

11. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

what i do is when i heard the noise, i shut down my PC and restart but then the sounds goes away
    i have 1 question.. if its the fan then why isnt it happening everytime?

12. replay

replay

did u open the side of the case and determine where the noise is coming from????????

13. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

no i didnt... but i will do it today.... :)

14. lee-mac

lee-mac

Sometimes fans need to warm up to start making strange noises or they can do the same when starting the system from being turned off ...it could even be a noisy harddrive just a thought :)

15. Avishek

Avishek Thread Starter

does it do any harm if i force computer to shut down by pressing n holding button in CPU?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice