1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange telco line behavior or modem problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lotuseclat79, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Have one land line. Two phone sockets: one for telephone another for computer modem.
    Another land line is used exclusively for telphone long distance calls. The land line having the problem has toll free service to dial in to different access points for ISP which is not the Telco.

New strange behavior:

When both telephone and modem plugged into phone sockets, picking up the phone hand set gets radio broadcast and no dial tone on the computer modem.

When telephone is unplugged, modem can get a dial tone but no carrier signal for connection over dialup, and subsequently gets no dial tone afterward.

When both devices are unplugged, then telphone plugged in, can get dial tone on phone and dial up and ring my other phone line.

Previously, had no problem with both devices plugged in at same time, i.e. with computer modem and telephone both plugged in to the separate sockets for same land line, telphone maintained a dial tone and could use line to make phone calls and computer connected over dialup any time of day which, of course, gets a busy signal when dialing to the phone from another line.

Questions:
    1) Does this behavior indicate a problem with the computer modem (USR External Fax Modem)?

2) What is causing the radio broadcat interference?

3) Is this a Telcom problem with the line?

Tia,

-- Tom

2. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy

it sounds like it is a problem with the modem. Everything works when you are not connected with the modem, but when the modem is plugged in nothing works. I would run the modem diagnostics from the computer and see if that brings up a problem. else I would try the modem on the other phone line to see if it works there.

I would go with DSL or Cable personnaly

3. lotuseclat79

Hi dizzle_deasy,

One thing I forgot to add was that there were several tree branches that looked like they were causing the telco wires to not hang freely. I trimed a few branches, but the problem still remained, and the two wires look like they either cross touch or come close to doing so near the house anyway.

Unfortunately, I do not have a telephone line long enough to check out the modem on the other land line - I may just look for a 50 foot telephone jack line to try the test though, but I will give the modem diagnostics a try.

Thanks for the reply.

-- Tom

4. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy

You could always move the computer closer to the telephone jack.

5. lotuseclat79

I needed to get a female-female connector to do the test which did not work.

So, in the end, the 5686D modem stb'd after just over 4 1/2 years of life. I replaced it with a 5686E USR EXT Faxmodem.

Essentially, the internal circuit which handled the Carrier Detect (CD) must have burned out or experienced some other catestrophic unknown hardware failure in order to display the symptoms covered above (see post #1 of this thread).

The new modem is touted for WinXP (which I have yet to recover), but the modem works straight out-of-the-box for Linux (which needs an External Modem) with my existing setup using wvdial. When I get WinXP up and running again, I will have to uninstall the old USR driver and install the new one since the model jump from D to E probably implies a different driver. This will have no effect on the Linux OS as the WinXP and Linux are on separate disks booted up via Grub.

-- Tom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!