1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange thing happening

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by squeaky, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squeaky

squeaky Thread Starter

when i go to yahoo the yahoo logo doesn't show up i just get a red x it is only happening on the main yahoo page all other pages have it anyone got any ideas?

please note that i have cleared my cache several times thinking it was mabye a corrupt file in there but that never worked.

thanks

2. Lostnhell

Lostnhell

Good call on clearing the cache, if that did not fix the problem then it is likely that the image that you were looking for is temporarily unavailable on the Yahoo server.

3. squeaky

squeaky Thread Starter

okay thanks........is anyone else having this problem?

4. squeaky

squeaky Thread Starter

it's still happening with me does anyone else have this problem? and if not ,any ideas about what todo to fix it?

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

Are you using Firefox with the Adblock extension installed? If yes, right click where the logo should be and uncheck block images from us.ai.yimg.com.

If you are using IE, try checking your Hosts File.

6. squeaky

squeaky Thread Starter

Thankyou so much thats it fixed now. the host file that i deleted it from was in windows/system32/drivers/etc, i opened it with notepad and manually deleted that entry. one weird thing though? at the top of the page it said that it was a sample of the hosts file and yet i found the offending entry and it worked, why does it say it's a sample and did i go to the right file? i would have thoughts so since it worked but it is strange.

i use webroot spysweeper and for some reason it had added the yahoo logo into the hosts file, do you think i should keep it in the hosts file or is it safe to remove it. I would have thought that yahoo would be trust worthy.

one other thing i also have microsoft antispyware and every couple of days it asks me if i want to allow zrap.zdnet.com.com into the 127.0.0.1 ip and i say yes but why does it keep asking me?
    is it possible that i have some kind of spyware that deletes that address from there and then spysweeper trys to put it back on?

sorry about the length of this post i have other things i want to say concerning some spyware reg keys that were found on my system but i won't go into detail unless you ask thanks squeaky

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

I think all hosts files say it is a sample, at first, whether you are using it or not, but don't quote me.

I think MS Antispyware keeps asking you is because it's still in beta, not perfected. I got tired of seeing all the notifications popping up all the time, so I turned off real time protection.

Spyware can make changes in the hosts file, so you have to be vigilant.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice