1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: strange things happening on startup!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rubeckf, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    My friend brought her computer over today to see if I could help solve this. She had downloaded the newest version of spy sweeper and then ran it. She downloaded avg free version because her bit defender 9 had expired. She removed bitdefender before downloading avg. Then she ran that scan, which was negative. She also ran ad aware and just found a couple tracking cookies. What has started to happen is that since she did all that and re-started windows, the windows installer comes up and says it's trying to install TrayApp...asking for the installation package (*.msi) disk. She has no such thing. The MB is MSI. This has never come up before. How can we get rid of this each time the computer is restarted? The only way to get out of it is to do the ctrl/alt/delete and end task on the trayapp each time it comes up. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    She is running Windows XP SP2.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

3. valis

valis Moderator

start > run > msconfig , see if there is an app called 'trayapp' in her start up tab, and if it's checked, disable it. Also post the hjt log that oz suggested.

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

TrayApp is an HP application for Printer/scanner. Try putting in your HP printer disc when this comes up and navigate to the TrayApp folder and install from there.

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I had already done the msconfig thing and nothing there to uncheck. Here is my scan results. I also just read the one from cmw2010. That makes sense, because she had been playing around with the program "Print This Now", and had been having problems getting it to work. I don't have her printer disk here, but will call her and tell her to get it to me tomorrow and go from there on that.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 10:06:26 PM, on 2/10/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NMSSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PrintNow\printnow.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\BellSouth\Alert Manager\BellSouthAlertManager.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.juno.com/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Print this now!] C:\PROGRA~1\PrintNow\printnow.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BellSouthAlertManager.exe] "C:\Program Files\BellSouth\Alert Manager\BellSouthAlertManager.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] "C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe" /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - Startup: MemTurbo.lnk = C:\Program Files\MemTurbo30\MemTurbo.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://tw.msi.com.tw/autobios/client/iftwclix.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NMSSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - Smart Link - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

6. valis

valis Moderator

don't see anything jumping out and going booga booga, but you may want to wait until an expert swings buy.

surely there was stuff in there, right?

7. valis

valis Moderator

try this:

If you have the CD of the recently installed printer software, insert the DVD/CD when prompted to install the TrayApp. Then, navigate to the folder on the disk called, "TrayApp", in there you will find an .msi installer called, "TrayApp".

Click on that, hit OK and the Imaging Monitor should extract the
    trayapp automatically.

let us know how you get on.

8. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    yes, there was lots of stuff in there, but nothing that said tray app or looked like it should be unchecked, is what I meant.

9. valis

valis Moderator

no, I think you misread me. I was talking about installing the printer cd, going to the folder called 'tray app', and clicking on the trayapp.msi and hitting enter.

10. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I just got the printer disk and it immediately got what it needed and everything is working great again. Thanks so much for your input.
    This is the greatest sight to go to with questions and sure has been a lot of help to me over the past few yrs I've been using it. I just made a donation a few days ago again.

11. valis

valis Moderator

glad to help....that's sort of what were here for. :)

looking forward to seeing you back, and maybe you can help me someday.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice