1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: strange (to me)... double clicking does not run/open file...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gimpel, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

i am pretty unfamiliar with Vista, and am servicing a friend's computer. When i click on an icon on the desktop, or a file in winExplorer, a little box with a check mark appears. Explorer puts buttons on its menu bar for actions, or i can select actions by right clicking on the file, or icon. But double clicking does not run/open the file...

i have not seen this 'check box' behavior and i dont like it. Windows is reporting a problem with a program called TuneUp, but after looking it up on WikiP i dont think it is responsible. i imagine it can be solved in 'settings' or 'congfiguration', but where?...

regards... gimpel

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

control panel>folder options, see attached I like the single click option..

Attached Files:

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

4. gimpel

gimpel Thread Starter

i fixed the problem(s)... in Folder Options, View page has a 'check box' item. i deselected it and the box and chex went away.
    Then in control panel i opened Mouse, and set the Double Click speed slower (it was set max). Doing both of these things returned things to what i like to see... (I DONT like single click, but that is becuz i am so used to double-clicking that it would be a long and frustrating process to relearn.) regards... g.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice