1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Strange Windows files? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by macroqueen, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macroqueen

macroqueen Thread Starter

Ok, I have been watching these folders grow for months, and I have never seen them in other computers I worked on before, so I need your input. Please look at the 2 attachments
    and tell me if this is normal? I have been assuming they are Windows automatic updates and thus left them alone, but they just keep growing in number to the point where I now have at least 50 folders with contents ranging from exe's to texts and other things. Each folder has a long weird name that doesn't make sense to me, but it might to you, and they are colored blue, not black like the rest of the file names. I took the screen captures from the view I was seeing in Windows Explorer.
    If this IS normal, then why are all these folders still on my computer, instead of updating and deleting old files, which is what I assumed the updates would automatically do? Each folder contains at east one entire exe program, and I'm thinking this is too much "stuff". Is it safe to delete them? If they are NOT safe, then I would have expected my security programs to have picked them up a long time ago.
    So, what are they? Also, are these files I can delete, or not?
    :) Thanks very much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. Augie65

Augie65

Those are uninstall files for your windows updates. I usually delete them after I have used the update for a while and know that I won't need to uninstall it.
    Example:
    $NtUninstallKB883939$ means it is the uninstaller for KB883939. You can right click the file, select properties and you can see the date created for the older uninstallers.
    Do not delete the $hf_mig$ folder, the $hf_mig$ folder is there for future upgrades to reference. They are blue because they have been compressed.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Better yet before deleting them burn them to a CD-R or DVD for safe keeping then if you want to delete them you can always copy them back to the Windows directory.

5. brokenhead

brokenhead

Also you can try this:
    Open up My Computer. Click on Tools, then Folder Options... When Folder Options open up, select the View tab.
    Under Advanced settings, you'll see Files and Folders with their properties listed. You'll see Hidden files and folders. Make sure "Do not show hidden files and folders" is checked. Then look up and select the "Apply to All Folders" button.

This way you get a cleaner GUI without having to see system files and folders.

6. macroqueen

macroqueen Thread Starter

Thank you, Augie and others who replied! I deleted all but the file you said was a ref. file. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for explaining what they were, that was what was bugging me. If I have a problem, Ill let you know, if not...you solved it! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594996