1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Struggling with Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madchick, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

Would like some advice regarding hardware diagnosis of motherboard versus CPU.

I use a tester for PS and seem to have no problem diagnosing failure.
    I can take RAM out of current PC and put in another pc to test.

So what can I test if the PS works & RAM works but when PS is plugged into mobo no fans & only red/green light appears on mobo? No other signs of life? Is there a way to properly diagnose between CPU and Mobo?

2. norton850

norton850

Make sure the wire from your front power switch is connected. To eliminate the switch as the problem you can also bypass the switch by using a small screwdriver across the pins that the wire connects to.

3. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

I thought of that but too. Because this is a custom build I can't confirm anything is correct in build. But what I can determine is that the wire serves multi purpose (keylock light, power supply, hard drive light & reset). They appear to be plugged in correctly based on id on the asusP4S8x mobo. I cannot confirm if they are in backwards since they very well could be...

4. norton850

norton850

Did this system ever work or is it a non working new build?

5. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

I have no idea whether it worked or not. I know the power supply was indeed shot when I tested it so I assumed (bad thing to do...assuming..) that the problem was the PS. I ordered new one, tested it upon arrival with atx ps tester, installed in machine & have only connected it to the atx power & the 12 v. I can tell you that the front cover had been broken off (yes, they did tape it back on...sigh...)

6. norton850

norton850

With the damage to the front of the case, it's possible that something else may have been damaged and there is a short. If you can, confirm that the RAM works. Then take the MB out of the case and place on a nonconductive surface. Check CPU and fan to make sure that everything is seated correctly and fan is plugged in. Add the RAM. That's all you need for the fans to go on although you won't have any video. You will also need the one wire from the front power switch attached to the motherboard. Because of the possible previous damage if things still don't go on I would remove the power switch wire and short the connector pins on the motherboard with a small screw driver.

7. WarC

WarC

Try booting the motherboard with the RAM out or the vid card out, if it whines at you thats usually a good sign that the motherboard still sees some life :)

Remove the CPU and check it for damage and/or bent or missing pins. Remount it and try again.

Another thing you might want to check is to see if the motherboard is properly mounted...since you don't know much about the computer, there could be anything wrong with it. This might be a good time to completely disassemble the system, then try to get the "essentials" running outside of the case.

8. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

It was the seating of mobo. Thanks.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can now mark your own threads solved by using the Thread Tools drop down box :)

Pass the word.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!