1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Struggling with WIN8 setup on used Notebook

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 00J1817900, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 00J1817900

00J1817900 Thread Starter

Greetings to all at TSG ! The help that I've previously received on this site has earned nothing less than my total gratitude and appreciation. Thanks for all that you do (and put up with on a daily basis).

I am so behind on the latest and greatest that it has become embarrassing in some sense. I. simply, can't afford the time nor money to keep up with today's technologies. I am struggling right now as I'm trying to learn the new IOS and a brand new iPhone6. That's been hell so far LOL. Another issue is what this inquiry is focused on... Windows 8 !!!

I am just getting comfortable with WIN7 on my pc, so I decided to test the waters of WIN8 by acquiring a used Samsung notebook with 8 already installed and setup. So far, the biggest issue I'm having is getting rid of the setup and files/info from the previous owner. The frustration comes in not having any sense of control. The previous owner seems to have either been off his rocker somewhat or a total genius. I need some help in understanding what I can do with this notebook. As of right now, I can't do much at all with it.

Basic SysInfo for said notebook:

Samsung model# NP550P5CL
    OS- WINDOWS8 (64-BIT) (x64- based processor)

I suppose the first step is getting this thing connected to the internet somehow, or no ? It is currently running in safe mode and I can't get out of it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How to Factory Reset a Samsung Laptop

If you can do that, then get Windows update until you can install the 8.1 upgrade (from the Store). See the tutorial sticky thread at the top of this forum.

3. avmthree

avmthree

Once you've updated to windows 8.1 by installing 8 updates then using the windows store to install 8.1 there will be an option available under pc settings/recovery I think, which you access by sliding your mouse into the lower right corner of the screen. from there, you can restart into recovery/repair options and have an option to refresh your pc, it may even be available without a restart. doing so gives you the choice to keep or remove existing files. so that is the best you can do without having your operating system disc.

4. 00J1817900

00J1817900 Thread Starter

That did it for me...
    the factory reset is what I had trouble with and I just couldn't find the solution on my own.

Thanks again !

You folks rock

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice