1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck aquiring network address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FileThirteen, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FileThirteen

FileThirteen Banned Thread Starter

Hello, my name is brent and I have an old school desktop built up a bit.... I went out and got a NetGear wireless USB adapter and I seem to be having trouble getting it to aquire an adress. My comp will connect to wifi router but won't take an I.P. adress.

I've tried to reinstall drivers, open the network completely without any security and still same thing.. I'm good with computers but networking and connections aren't my thing, maybe some help please????

It takes a minute and gives the "network is limited or no connectivity" then I can't use anything that has to do with the internet.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver from Netgear's web site.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network if it is not obvious.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. acesnick

acesnick

Try to manually configure your usb adapter and assign an ip. To do this go to control panel and network connection. Find the adapter properties and look for ur usb network adapter. Right click then click properties. Select TCP/IP 4 then click properties.

Now, you need to know the ip of your router. What is the model of ur router? If it is 192.168.1.1, then on the general tab, you need to assign an ip to your pc. So since I gave an example, just change the last digit to any number that is within the range of your router. Try 10-99 or its up to u.

Then subnet mask 255.255.255.255 and the default gateway is same as your router gateway.

Click ok then try to connect again.

Mostly, the reason why the connection is limited becase the DHCP on router isnt properly configured or turned off.

I hope this helps :)

4. FileThirteen

Thanks for sure.. Its late as all hell here! I'm going to try these suggestions after work tomorrow and ill let you know what happened! Thanks!

5. FileThirteen

IP config says this... Bare with me I'm working from my tab.

Host name: brent
    Primary dns suffix:
    Ip routing enabled: no
    Wins proxy enabled: no

Media state: media disconnected
    Description: realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic
    Physical address: 00-40-ca-45-dc-92

Connection-specific dns suffix:
    Description: teredo tunneling pseudo-interface
    Physical address: ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff
    Dhcp enabled: no
    Ip adress: fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default gateway:
    Netbios over tcpip: disabled

Thats as far as I've made it... what do you mean by a scren shot of the network page???

6. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE

Brent,

I think since you have L2/L1 connectivity, the problem lies in your wireless router handing out DHCP or this WiFi adapter DHCP is disable (i saw you output). It is completely strange because usually DHCP is turned on by default . In any case, i would add to what our friends above have said. Find the Netowork and Sharing center and change the adapter setting. Also check if you wireless router is giving you the necessary IP address.If you have ethernet, connect to the wireless router your legacy desktop and laptop and see if they do. If they do not then your problem is in the router. Also usually ....

Actually check that for me, and i think i can provide you with a solution.

Thanks
    NT2IE

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no wireless adapter showing in the ipconfig /all.

It does appear as OK in Device Manager under Network Adapters? Does the wireless connection show in Network Connections, and is it enabled?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

If you have never successfully connected with the USB adapter are you sure that you are not using MAC Address filtering on the router?

I gave a link to instructions on taking and attaching a screen shot. The Networks page is the one that opens by default when you run Xirrus.

8. BharatNT2IE

BharatNT2IE

If you do not see it in the Network Manager section, then you clearly have a problem.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could you tell us how to find this "Network Manager section"?

10. FileThirteen

Ya I need to know that as well.

The connection is there I know it for a fact. My android nextbook tab connects instantly when in range. The computer will 'connect' no prob it just won't aquire an ip address. It just says connectivity limited to none.

I'm going to get some more info to provide but thanks for the help friends!!!!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the wireless appears in Network Connections and is enabled but does not appear in the ipconfig /all I have seen only two fixes ...

a. Uninstall the firewall or security suite and run the Removal Tool if one is provided and worked maybe twice; or

b. Reinstall Windows.

12. FileThirteen

I'm going to try an manually assign my computer the ip address and see whats happening then. I appreciate all the help!!

13. FileThirteen

Ahaa!

So bharat has been successful inndirecting me to manualy set upnthe ip ect. It connected with good to very good connection.
    Now another problem.... My firefox won't connect to any web address.?

EDIT:
    The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and works as soon as I change it, figuring that was an issue it tells me the subnet mask has to be contiguous?

14. FileThirteen

Problem fixed!

My .NET framework was missing because my computer didn't do an auto update. I just installed Windows 7 and everything works perfectly fine now!

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Thanks for letting us know your solution.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!