1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck at black screen, won't restore! Error Code: PXE-E61 media test failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcurren1207, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcurren1207

mcurren1207 Thread Starter

I was using the Internet until it froze on me, the next I know, there's a blue screen and then it shut off. When I restarted the computer, it brings me to a black screen which has two codes
    PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    I'm only able to do F2 which brings me to a menu screen called: PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility and F12 the restore option. it will not restore. When F12 is selected, it brings me to the Boot Menu which displays:
    LAN (in white)
    CD/DVD DVD/CDRW UJDA770- (SM) (in blue)
    <Enter Setup>
    but when selected, instead of restoring, it brings me back to the black screen. HELP!

2. replay

replay

thinking there is a good chance your harddrive has given up
    so the harddrive is not listed in the boot options?
    and u can't enter the bios?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When you see that message its usually one of 2 things. its either trying to boot from the LAN or the hard drive has had it and needs replaced.if the drive isnt even listed in the BIOS or the boot order thats a pretty good indicator that it has failed or is failing.i just hope you didnt have anything on there that cant be replaced.if it hasnt failed completely you might try to salvage what you can.

4. mcurren1207

mcurren1207 Thread Starter

:) Thanks, once I read both post about my hard drive needing to be replaced, I removed the hard drive then put the same one back in. It wasn't fully connected, it was lose. Once repositioned it and powered it on, everything worked just fine. The error message said to check cable, I guess that was the thing to check. Thanks.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im glad its solved for you and that it was an easy fix.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice