1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck DVd drive tray

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Have any of you had this problem?

A client of mine had a relatively new (but out of warranty) desktop PC and discovered that the drive tray would not eject.

Checking it out, I observed the activity light on the drive lit and I could hear a sound indicating that the try was "trying" to eject but could not.

Opening the computer case I verifies proper connection of data and power to the drive (PATA type).

So I removed the drive and told my client I would connect it to another computer to see if I could get it working before we replaced it with another one. After doing so, I got it working. It appeared the drive tray might have been sticking on the front bezel.

After "exercising" the tray several times (in-out, in-out) I put it back in the original computer. It worked.. but not for long. It stuck and has remained stuck.

So I replaced the drive and all is well to date.(y)

Perhaps I spent far too much time on this problem. :( A replacement DVD drive is pretty cheap.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have lots of computers that have given me fits with various problems over the years but ive never had a stuck cd/dvd drive yet. lol!!!For future reference when one does get stuck just use a paperclip to retrieve the cd if one is in there. The computer doesnt even have to be on to do so at least not on a laptop.

3. Hughv

Hughv

I've seen this several times and solved it in much the same way as Wolf. In every case, the drive had been used very little, or not at all for a long time.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Sometimes if you can get it open leaving a disk inside 'fixes' this non-opening problem but it's not really practical unless it's your own PC and you remember to leave the disk in all the time !

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

re: just use a paperclip
    May work if disc is inside. No luck in this case. Paper clip, wooden chip, lock pick, hard kick, knotted string, anything no luck, just stuck.:rolleyes:

6. Hughv

Hughv

Insert the paperclip straight and level, and you'll feel the lock release. You may need to gently pry it open if it doesn't pop completely out.

7. iRiguez

iRiguez

I was also going to recommend the paperclip. However, don't force to hard. As Hughv said, you should feel and hear a slight click once you push the pin into the hole.

8. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I run into 2 common scenarios where optical drives don't open, and one that's pretty rare. The most common is a bad drive, followed by a tray that's sticking, and the third is a disk that's fragmented.

In cases 1 and 2, you can shut down the computer, open the drive with a paper clip (removing any disk in the drive) and then reboot. A properly functional drive usually will close during the post, but sometimes you need to close it with the eject button or a gentle push. If the drive opens and closes in repeated tests, it was just stuck.. If it fails to open or close correctly, it is time for a replacement drive. When a disk has broken in the drive, it usually opens partway, then jams even using a paper clip to open the drive, and generally fails to close. You can also see the bits of broken disk inside the drive. It's usually a lot quicker and easier to replace the drive than to attempt a repair. Generally speaking, though, a drive that won't open or close consistently is defective.

9. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

OK. Back again. Tried the problem drive again on my "test" PC. I was able to get the tray to release with "precision" insertion of a paper clip. For the moment the drive is working again! I do not expect it to continue, so mark the drive "unreliable", suitable only for a paper weight. BTW, the front panel cover on my clients computer blocks access to the paper clip hole, so the cover must be removed before unsticking the drive.

Thanks for your comments and assistance, guys. I guess I can mark this solved.

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are very welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice