1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck in a loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by workinggirl, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. workinggirl

workinggirl Thread Starter

Hi can any one help.
    I am trying to help a friend.
    Their computer is stuck in a loop. When it gets to the windows XP welcome screen it restarts. I have tried starting in safe mode but this does not work.
    I believe their computer as a hidden partition on it with the recovery software on.
    Also to make matters worse they have only had the pc a couple of weeks and have not burnt their recovery cd's yet so I can't reinstall the operating system.

Celeron 3.00Ghz
    512mb memory
    XP media centre edition

Any help will be appreciated.

2. bleepster

bleepster

only a few weeks old? is their a warranty on it? take it back and get a new one.

3. unbidden

unbidden

Sounds like a virus or spyware problem. They haven't made the XP recovery cd's yet so I doubt they have made antivirus recover cds? If they have an anti-virus cd you could try booting to that and it may clean the problem.

Have you tried "Last known good configuration"? This is usually accessed via the F8 key.

Another alternative is to slave the drive to another computer and run a virus scan. However, as previously stated by 'bleepster', the pc is still under warranty.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i agree. take it back and get a new one. it should be under warranty.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Do you know if the system has Norton Internet Security 2006 or 2007 installed?

6. workinggirl

workinggirl Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. Solved the problem now. Ran chkdsk /r in recovery console and pc now works.
    Could not take it back under warranty because they said he should have made his recovery cd's. They also said the most likely cause was spyware and the warranty did not cover that.
    Thanks again

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im glad to see that your problem has been solved. no offense but that has to be the dumbest warranty ive ever heard of. weve had 3 computers 2 bought brand new and they both came with 3 yr warranties that basically said if theres a problem we will fix it for free or give you a new computer if its not fixable or refund your money one was a dell dimension and one was an old compaq presario. on the compaq they had to give us a new monitor and new printer because neither could be fixed. knock on wood the only thing on the dell weve replaced so far has been the mouse which is no big deal. i just bought a reconditioned dell optiplex that came with a 1 yr warranty that said the same thing. what brand of computer do they have so ill know not to buy one. :eek:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!