1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: stuck in endless circle loading desktop and wall paper

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Art in iowa, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Art in iowa

Art in iowa Thread Starter

hi,

Ok, this is a strange one... I was working when my system seemed to go a bit crazy, bunch of windows opened up and told me that my virus protection was not working etc.. I closed them all and ran a quick scan with Symtec to see if I had somehow picked up a virus. Decided to reboot. When I restarted the computer I had this strange circle going on. It goes thru a normal bootup, and when it is loading the tray, it starts going in a circle. Starts loading up programs and then restarts and then restarts etc. Most of the time, after 3 or 4 times it ends with just the wall paper visable. Now, at this point the computer seems ok, I can run most any program by starting them in Task Manager ( applications, new task etc...). In fact that is how I signed up for this forum and wrote the note. BUT I cannot get the desktop back. The only way is to run Windows Explorer, via task manager, then you get it back, but it does the circle thing continously. IF you can get a program started during the part of the circle where icons etc are visable, then it will run. SO, I tried doing a restore, went back one day and ran the restore. Seemed to run normally. BUT the symptoms are the same ( now it was close to midnight, so I should have gone back farther). NOW, when I tried to go and do another restore, to go back farther, the restore program runs normally, except it will not let me choose a day. Shows many possible days and the help runs etc.. the buttons "push" but nothing happens.

ACK !! what can I do ? Is there a way to replace just Win Explorer ( which seems to be part of the problem to me)??

The "cycle" is about 3 or 4 seconds, so you have to be pretty fast to run a program.

I did try and use Safe mode, but the cycle is so fast then that you cannot get to a program before the screen clears to black ( no wall paper of course). One other odd bit, even though programs seem to run correctly, if you are typing and hesistate during the "blank" phase ( loading the wall paper), you lose focus and can't type, you can just press your mouse back in the window to regain focus.

HELP!!!

2. Art in iowa

Just a little update, I ran ChkDsk in read only mode and it stopped at 63%, reporting errors that stopped it from continuing.... I am unsure if it is safe to run it in repair mode. It might screw my ability to use the computer completely if it blocks out sections of the windows code.

Any suggestions are very welcome !

Thanks,

David

3. Art in iowa

just a bit more info, I ran chkdsk, scheduled for next restart. It ran thru and gave me a msg about what it did, which passed too quickly for me to read. Then rebooted, but the PC has the exact same probs. Also of note, I have noticed that the "circle" occurs at the same point eact time: when it is loading a message from WinXP about my fire wall being turned off. The bubble comes up and about 3 secs later it starts to reload from the wall paper. I think that message is somehow causing the reload.

4. killah

killah

Depending on the errors it could be a corruption in the file system or physical problems with the hard drive..first thing i would do is try to backup data if you have important data you need to save...you will need access to another computer to download and burn a live cd, such as BartPE, Windows PE, or even a simple Ubuntu live cd will get you to a desktop and allow you to access files and copy stuff...after the backup, then can work more on the problem.

5. Art in iowa

thank you for the advice. I can get to files now and luckily, most data is on other drives. I have run a utility called "sfc" with the scannow option, it was to replace damaged files. This went thru normally, but then the PC would not boot, tried the "boot normally" option, didn't work, tried "boot to last known good configuration" and that got me back to the same old problem, which has the advantage of letting me backup etc.... still not sure if this is a virus or a damaged drive.

6. killah

killah

you can test the hard drive, if you know what kind of hard drive it is, you can get software from the manufacturer free from website (such as Maxtor, Western Digital and such), to test hard drive. If you dont know what kind it is, i like the Salvation hard drive software, it comes with the Ultimate Bootable CD download, which i think latest is version 3.3, either way you go, will need to download and burn to cd and run the software to test hard drive, and replace if necessary..if hard drive is fine, i would suggest re-loading windows and then moving data back over.

7. Art in iowa

Hi all,

I had handed this poor machine over to the techie here at the U of Iowa, they recommended that I reformat the HD and reinstall the OS. Told me the registry was gone ...

Turned out to be malware/virus, found by MalwareBytes. Seems ok now !

Thanks for all suggestions and help.

David

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!