1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck in safe mode (I think!)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by woodridgenz, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodridgenz

woodridgenz Thread Starter

I've been letting my boy (4 1/2) log onto my old computer, which I use mainly for photo storage, so that he can browse photos/videos and play games. (I use my laptop for all other things.) A week or so ago, he told me something strange was happening to the computer - everything had gone big and the colours were odd. I tried a few things, such as checking the resolution, but there were no options available and I was in a rush, so left it to sort out later. He later explained that he'd push keys randomly while the computer was starting up :eek:, and I presume now that he had started the computer in Safe Mode.

Trouble is, now I can't get out. I've tried selecting other options at startup, such as Normal and Last good configuration, but it comes out the same. I've tried reloading my monitor driver from the CD, but it tells me the file's not there! I've tried other suggestions from Googling, but files people suggest (eg, msconfig, boot.ini) aren't there. The device manager only comes up with a default driver (VGA compatible), with no option to change it, and says it's OK and working fine. (Not!) :confused:

Please help! I need to reorganise my photos onto my new external hard drive over the holidays, as I'm out of space on the computer. Computer-y friends are all away on holiday!

Computer runs on Windows 2000 (SP 2, I think - no recent updates, as it hasn't been connected to the Internet in quite some time).

Many thanks for reading.

2. woodridgenz

woodridgenz Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading about my problem and giving it your consideration. After stopping in the other day and seeing I had 79 views and no replies, I realised it would not be an easy fix :eek:, so I dug out my installation disks and reinstalled the operating system (Windows 2000)!!!

This was not a smooth process - mainly because at one point it asked for the Administrator password, which I lost many years ago, and I needed to find a separate Intel disk with a pile of drivers on it (which took me about 2 hours to find, while the computer waited patiently) - but IT WORKED, and the problem is now solved! Normal sized fonts/icons, more than 16 colours, and my various drivers back in action. (Yay!!)

Only problem is some of my programs have gone wonky, and I'm back to SP 1 on Win 2000, but hopefully I can fix those problems by reinstalling the programs (have all the disks - somewhere!)/downloading updates from the Internet.

Thanks again to everyone who looked in. Best wishes of the holiday season to you all. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice