1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck on Dell splash screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rishi217, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rishi217

rishi217 Thread Starter

Hey, so i have a problem with my computer.
    I have a Dell inspiron 530 running vista 32-bit. The computer was working fine when yesterday morning it got stuck on the dell splash screen. My sister even managed to make it work by simply turning it on, but after i shut it down and tried to boot it again this morning, it got stuck again. I haven't done anything new other than installing drivers for a wireless network adapter and installing WoW, and it worked fine after that. I cannot press F2, F8 or F12 when stuck at the splash screen.
    This is what i have tried out already:
    1. Booting with all peripherals unplugged (except monitor, mouse and keyboard)
    2. Turning the power off while its attempting to boot.

what do i do? :(

2. rishi217

rishi217 Thread Starter

ok so it seems the problem has developed into something else...
    i managed to press F12 during start-up and it said diskette drive 0 seek failure. I can now boot by just pressing F1 for continue and then selecting the hard drive, så my computer is basically working now. But doesnt this mean that its trying to boot from a floppy disk?(i dont have a floppy disk drive). i checked the boot priority and it says the hard drive is priority number 1.
    what to do?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have seen this issue if a floppy drive is enabled in the BIOS Setup when the computer has no floppy drive, or if it has a defective floppy drive. The setting for Drive A is on the Standard CMOS Features menu.

4. rishi217

rishi217 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help!! :D problem solved

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Glad you solved it. (y)

Keep in mind (for just in case), "enabled" is the default state. If it gets enabled by itself again, it could be a sign of a failing CMOS battery.

6. rishi217

rishi217 Thread Starter

will keep that in mind :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice