1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck on login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by corie_1, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corie_1

corie_1 Thread Starter

I have tried to help a friend with their laptop. It starts up fine, but once u get to the login screen and click on the user, it says loggin on, then goes to saving settings then logging off. Brings u right back to the login screen.

I have tried safe mode, networking, every thing listed. Nothing. I have even tried to reboot from the start up disk. Won't do it. Keeps going to the login screen. What am I missing? please help. He is working on a Dell Ispirion 9300. XP. thank you

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Sounds like the Startup disk is either not bootable or the laptop's BIOS isn't set to boot from CD first. Try the F2 key on startup to enter BIOS menus and make that change, then pop the CD in and try again.

3. corie_1

corie_1 Thread Starter

did that. the disk is the orginal.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That's most odd. The only way a bootable disk can fetch you up back at login is if you missed the brief moment the message "hit any key to boot from CD" hits the screen - a message that MS sneaks in to fool us.

5. corie_1

corie_1 Thread Starter

i got that message. it is weird. i am so flabergasted.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/868219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice