1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuck while installing suse 11...please help

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by thinkdigit, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinkdigit

thinkdigit Thread Starter

This is the situation, I have XP and Ubuntu installed and want to install Suse11. Here is the partition description, which was created by Gparted and all partitions for linux have been formatted in ext3 file system.

/dev/sda 37.3GB
    /dev/sda1 7.9 GB NTFS WINDOWS/C
    dev/sda2 19.3 GB EXTENDED
    dev/sda3 10 GB NTFS WINDOWS/D
    dev/sda5 9 GB F LINUX NATIVE (EXT3) /home (This is where ubuntu is installed)
    dev/sda6 9 GB Linux Native / (This is where I intend to install Suse11)
    dev/sda7 1.3 GB Linux swap swap

Upon installation, I am stuck at "Suggested partition" with the following:
    I don't know how to proceed, whether I should choose Create partition setup or edit partition setup. What should I do next...it is all confusing.
    Should I format dev/sda6 again? If yest, which system? ext3 is not in the list all. What should be the mount point?

I don't want to end up formatting the partition where ubuntu is installed. Help!!!!!!

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    Click that "edit partition setup" and then carefully review and edit as needed. And yes you do need to allow the SUSE installer to re-format the partition it will be put onto, and as ext3, and mounted as / (root), and it may want a separate one for /home partition which is used for all the users data, file, photos, etc. Your sda5 for Ubuntu should be just /, and not /home, unless it has both partitions, (root and home)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!