1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stupid question about hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kashmir09, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kashmir09

kashmir09 Thread Starter

My computer's specs state that the HDD's capacity is 320GB. However, when I go to My Comp and Right click on my two partitions, the total GB actually comes to a little under 300GB.

Why does it show up like this? Just curious.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This is normal. The hard drive manufacturer Uses a Decimal 10 math when they advertise the size of of their drives. When they say 320Gb they are using the 10base number. How ever your computer doesnt use a 10 base number. It uses a binary number which is reallyonly 2 digits. 1 & 0 1 represents on 0 represents off. When figuring the size of a hard drive using the binary system, you have to remember that 1 Meg is actually 1024 Kb. do the math that way and you will see that your drive is actually showing up the correct size in binary. Also a certain portion of the drive size is used as overhead for the file system formatting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!