1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Stuttering with New RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvershield, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

I wouldnt call this a problem , more of an annoyance. I installed 256MB DDR SDRAM in my PC, totaling to 512MB. The PC is much faster, but I noticed when I play games the whole game "stutters" every few seconds. this is very annoying, and im thinking, maybe its just cooling problems? help is greatly appreciated.

2. silvershield

by the way.... i forgot to edit my sig......i have 512 TOTAL now...

3. silvershield

Actually as I was browsing the web... I noticed my whole computer stutters!... Maybe a bad RAM module?

4. silvershield

5. norton850

norton850

Take the new Ram out. Does the problem continue?

6. silvershield

No, it does not. Please note that the "maximum" RAM speed for this PC is 3200, which was installed by manufacturer, but I installed PC2700 RAM... I can either do a dual-channel configuration, or a two single channels, but switching doesnt make a difference. The BIOS detects all 512 MB of ram, though, windows detects 510... I am 99% sure this isnt defective RAM because the whole system performance is faster, except, it lags on me.

7. norton850

norton850

Usually combining the 2700 and 3200 works they just run at slower speeds. I know you tried dual and single changgel set ups but have you tried switching the location of the two sticks?

8. silvershield

Yes, i have 4 DIMM slots, The left two are painted blue, (assuming) this means channel 1, and the right are painted black, means channel 2. I changed the location of the RAM in all of the possible configurations.

9. silvershield

Edit: ... I take that back *. Removing the new RAM module does not solve the problem...though I only noticed the stuttering after I installed the new module. Maybe this is just coincedince?

10. silvershield

any help......?

11. silvershield

I was told by another tech forum that this was a video card problem, I switched over to Integrated graphics (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 CrossFire). and i still have the same problem.

12. norton850

norton850

It may not be the RAM, but why don't you run this just to check
    http://www.memtest.org/

Did you eliminate virus and spyware by running the appropriate programs?
    Update video card drivers?
    Check in Task Manager to see if anything's running that might be eating up your resources?

13. silvershield

I know this is strange but, i do not have a floppy drive installed, therefore, i cannot make a boot disk. I ran a Norton virus scan, removed around 2 spyware programs, rebooted, and scanned again. I updated both the integrated graphics, and the Nvidia graphics card. I checked the processes...nothing unusual. one thing I did notice: the CPU activity goes from 0% to around 60 - 70%. Is this normal? I also noticed my hard drive has activity about when the video would "stutter", even when I have no programs running, and background services shut down.

14. GripS

GripS

If you have a CD burner you can download the ISO version of memtest. This will allow you to boot off of a CD-R with memtest.

15. silvershield

I will try that... I am still convinced that this is some sort of video card problem, as I removed the new module, and the problem kept occuring.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!