1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sub-Interfacing Problem. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flex_few, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Hello,
    Am having issues sub-interfacing a fast ethernet port on a cisco 2811 router for vlan 2 and 3 that I have created on a cisco catalyst 2960 switch. I've been reading up on it all day but can't seem to wrap my head around it. Looking foward to opinions. Thank You.

**Am a CCNA student still working with Packet Tracer 5.3

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What problems are you having? What does your configuration look like?

3. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Its an assignment to set up an internet cafe with 50PCs. Its over 2 floors.
    So far,it looks like this:

1 Router,
    2 Switches (each connectd to the router at fa0/0 and 0/1 with ip addresses 192.168.2.1/27 192.168.5.1/26 as the default gateway respectively).

I have divided d PCs on the first floor(23) into 3vlans(normal 1 and then 2,3). Same with PCs on the second floor (for management and traffic reasons). However, My problem is getting them to communicate since inter-vlan communication would be routed.
    Hope I made sense.

Thank You.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When I said configuration, I meant the configuration of the router and switches.

5. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Am sorry,please bear with Me as I am using My blackberry phone.
    Attached are copies of the router running config.I'l upload that of the switches now.

Attached Files:

• R1.jpg
      R1.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
    • R2.jpg
      R2.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  6. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

These are for the switches.
    Thank You.

Attached Files:

7. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

zx10guy,please am still here expecting your reply.
    Thanks.

8. geek117

geek117

9. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Well,I do have some but we havnt really gone this far so to some extent,am just pushing to know ahead. I'l get the book above soon, read through and let you know the outcome before the end of the day.
    Thank You.

10. geek117

geek117

What you're going to want to look for is "Router-on-a-stick" configuration. In the meantime, check these out. The book I posted for you is pretty much all I used when I took the classes (went to a Cisco Networking Academy). Cisco's nice about posting most of the information, and ALL of the labs online. I wouldn't recommend relying on packet-tracer too much though, because the real IOS' will look and respond to commands a bit differently than you'll be used to on packet-tracer (packet tracer uses some generic routers/switches, and if you use real equipment, you're not always going to have the latest IOS).

http://www.networkstraining.com/cisco-router-on-a-stick-with-switch/
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1853/Cisco_switch_802_1q_trunk_to_router_on_a_stick/

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/RouterOnAStickCCNACertificationExamTutorial.htm
    ^^Careful on this one, they use encapsulation isl... most of your CCNA examples will use dot1q.

11. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

I'v gotten d book and you need to see d way I said "yes! " after getting them to communicate succesfully. Thank You so much, *encap isl and all other points noted.

12. geek117

geek117

No problem. Post again if you're stuck on something, or need more sources of info.

13. flex_few

flex_few Thread Starter

Sure would.
    *thumbs up*

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice