1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Sudden Death for Mr. Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by insolent, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. insolent

insolent Thread Starter

Hello all!

I've been reading many threads and it always amazes me how helpful people can be to complete strangers; like myself.

My PC:
    ABIT KR7A
    AMD 2100+XP
    300 Watt Codegen Power Supply
    1 512 DDR RAM stick
    Nvidia GeForce4 4200Ti
    Soundblaster Audigy
    couple CD-ROM/CD-R/W drives
    Matrox 40 GB HD
    couple NICs

The computer is on 24/7 and is approx 9 months old. Over the past month, I've had one or two mysterious random restarts. I'm happily typing along, and bam! Mr. Rompy (that's the computer's name) decides to cycle its power and reboot. Last night, I was having another of my happy typing sessions, and Mr. Rompy decided to go towards the white light and die. It suddenly just shut off.

Even though we had no earthquake, or kids knocking Mr. Rompy over, I double checked to be sure all cables were properly secure and that no PC ghosts had rearranged anything. That includes making sure the mobo has all the right wires from the case plugged into the right spot.

What I've done:
    I switched the power cable to a new wall outlet that I tested with a lamp to be sure it worked and was not switched by a wall switch. Next, I let Mr. Rompy be, with no power cable plugged in to him. I also switched to tab in the back of the power supply to 220v and back to 110v (while it was not plugged in). Finally, I plugged the power back in, switched the power supply off and on (to 0 and back to 1), and pressed the power button on the front of the case. Mr. Rompy is still dead (or ignoring me). Note: when the power cable is plugged in, and switched on (set to 1), the LED on the mobo is illuminated, indicating the mobo is receiveing some kind of a power source. This makes me nervious because I'm hoping my problem is the power supply. When I press the power button on the front of the case, the CPU fan tries to do one single twirl, but not the Video card fan, and certainly not the power supply fan.

Sry to be so detailed. And now that you've read this whole thing, someone is gonna tell me "the power supply is dead. Go buy a new one." At least that's what I'm hoping to hear, but I do wnat to hear it, since I've been obsessing over this for the last several hours. If not, what else could be happening to Mr. Rompy?

Thx in advance!!

2. mtbird

mtbird

Welcome to TSG !
    Sounds like Mr. Rompy is in need of a transplant. I would suspect that the power supply has given up the ghost, especially since the fan isn't turning.
    When you go to buy a new one, be sure to get one that is at least 350 watts or better.

Debe

3. torgo

torgo

4. insolent

insolent Thread Starter

Problem solved! I bought a 350 Watt PSU and popped it right in. This may sound like a stupid question, but what does that extra 50 Watts get me? More power stability?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just enables you to draw more power......if you hook up other devices...you probably wouldn't notice the difference between the two.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Having more power is kinda like having a full tank of gas in your car. You don't notice a problem until you run out.

Then it starts getting unstable kinda like your car cutting out then it dies.

7. skylinedo

skylinedo

The extra 50 watts won't really affect Mr. Rompy that much. But it'll boost Electric, Mr. Bill up a few cents.

8. rmay635703

rmay635703

Although my favorite computer mr toasty would probably just waste the extra 50 watt

[​IMG]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice