1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden Loss Of HD Space

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JoP, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

recently i was playing a game when i got an error with the blue screen of death, i didnt think much of it and restarted my pc, once i rebooted, it ran some kind of check on my hard drive, later on it happened again, and my pc refused to reboot, eventually i got it to reboot, but i just noticed i only have 700 MB left of Hard Drive space! I have no idea how this space is being used, but if someone could help me free it again, I would greatly appreciate it

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you ever run a complete adware/malware and virus scan on your PC?

3. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

i do alot,

btw, when i was trying to reboot, i changed some things to try to get my pc to boot, i changed them back, but i think they may have done something

also, the error said something about writing to the HD, but i didnt think much of it, but if it did, would i be able to go in there and get rid of it?

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

What had drive is it, maker and size?

I think the next step is to run the diagnostics on the drive IF you are sure you aren't infested with malware. What anti spy programs have you run?

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Give us more info.

What system? what hardware? What versions and so on. What kind of computer did this happen to? That sort of stuff.

6. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

well im running XP home with a 37.2 GB Hard Drive, i dont really see what the difference would be, since im just trying to figure out what happened to the memory.

what im really afraid of is if it damaged the HD

7. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

It helps to narrow it down to what the problem is. How much space did you have before this happened? No biggie if it's the har drive and you didn't have anything important on it. A 40GB drive is dirt cheap. Unless it's a digital Raptor that is.

8. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

before it happened i had approximately 13

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

What I am trying to get at is, some virus' and malware will replicate and download until you have nothing left as far as space is concerned, Doc is right about hard drives. They are cheap. Lets find out what is going on.

Go to http://www.ewido.net/en/ and download, install, and update ewido security suite. Then run it. If it is clean we will go from there.

10. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

man that's almost full. Is the computer booting up ok? If so try running disk cleanup in your accessories folder. If that doesn't work, do you have any disk utilities other than the ones in your OS? System Mechanic is a good one or SystemWorks

11. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

well i just looked and
    Program Files = 4.77 GB
    Documents And Settings = 13.2 GB
    Windows = 2.70

so with my calculations i should still have 16.53 GB left

12. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

have you ever seen something like that happen?

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No, I just go around giving advice about things I on which no clue. :rolleyes:

Yes I have seen it happen.

14. JoP

JoP Thread Starter

well, im guessing i just got the crapped hacked out of me or something, because ewido has found 204 infected files (at 56%), which is 204 more than McAfee found last week

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Uh huh. Keep scanning.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice