1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden loss of internet connect

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chellethecat, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chellethecat

chellethecat Thread Starter

I am running a PC clone, Win XP SP3. It is using a wired connection to a router. Yesterday, out of no where, I lost connection to the internet. No browsers, Trillian, nothing that uses the internet works. I tried running a virus scan, malware scan and found nothing. I tried doing a system restore and it seemed to work, for a brief moment I had the internet again. Then, once more, it stopped working.

Since then, I've found that if I reboot my computer, or when coming from a cold boot, I will have internet access for a few minutes. Not even long enough to download a 185MB file or fully check my email.

Right now, the current speculation is that the onboard network connection is dying. What I'm trying to find out, is if that is possible or not. I'm not worried about having to buy a card - they're cheap. I am worried about buying a new card and it not fixing the problem.

Are there other things that can cause this to happen that I can/should look into first?

2. petan

petan

try runing some live cd to check if internet will work, you can download them from lot of sites, if that will work problem may be in your system...

3. Wavin

Wavin

Maybe it's a problem of router or network card...

4. chellethecat

The problem is in my system - all other computers that connect to this router are not having problems, both wireless and wired. It's only my system. I don't need to run anything special to tell me that much.

As previously mentioned, this is something I have already considered. I do not, at this time, have a network card independent of my motherboard - it's onboard. As per my response to petan, it is not the router.

However, someone else had suggested that it might not be hardware at all, but rather software. I wanted to find out if THAT is at all possible, and if so what to check for and how to fix it.

5. petan

petan

I told you how to check if it is not your software. If it will work on other OS installation it is not the hardware but problem somewhere else, why not to try that?

6. huggie54

huggie54

hiya Chellethecat,firstly go to your device manager,once in go down to network adapters and expand the + is there any Yellow ! or Red Xs,if so select your card and up date drivers,if this does not work select your card and uninstall,reboot your machine and the card will automatically be reinstalled by Windows

7. chellethecat

@petan - I cannot connect to the internet TO download anything which is what you suggested.

Hiya huggie. No, there is no indicated in the device manager that the device is not working. In fact, it states that it is working as it should be.

8. petan

petan

aha, so did you try safe mode with networking, try to open command line and then ipconfig /renew all, what does your system say when it happens do you have some firewall?

9. chellethecat

Safe mode does the same thing as normal - I have a connection for a minute or two and then nothing.

ipconfig /renew all: The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Firewall is the windows firewall which I normally have running, but I've tried turning it off and it doesn't change anything.

10. huggie54

huggie54

11. petan

petan

if it is driver you would have the problem since you use it

12. chellethecat

Okay, I tried removing the device and rebooting. Same as everything else, I had a connection for just a couple of minutes. I tried the winsockfix... same result.

I wouldn't be driver related as my drivers were up to date and had not changed. This literally started out of the blue.

13. petan

petan

14. chellethecat

No, as I cannot download it to run.

15. petan

petan

you said it works for a short while or it does not work at all, you do not have any alternative way to get it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice