1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden loss of sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashfaqrasul, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashfaqrasul

ashfaqrasul Thread Starter

OK so sound was definitely working fine a couple of hours beforehand. Did not install anything or change any settings, etc. I decided to launched a game, and realised there was no audio. I tried to bring up Volume Control from the system tray, and was greeted with the error "The audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will exit." Didn't sound good. BTW, this was while using my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE card.

The next thing I tried to do was to connect speakers to the integrated card and see if that worked (Soundmax audio device on P5B Deluxe). No luck. I also noticed that in Sound and Audio Devices under the Control Panel, it said "No Audio Devices.", with all options greyed out. Huh!? Confused.

I then went all out and uninstalled the Creative and Soundmax drivers and utilities completely, rebooted, and installed them both again afresh between reboots. Still no luck: Same errors. I also tried switching the PCI slot for the audio card as the previous slot was directly underneath the graphics card, but this didn't do the job.

Does anybody have a way out of this nightmare? I know a reformat is a solution to all problems, but I'd really like to avoid it right now, if at all possible.

Thanks.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

When you remove the drivers and reboot, does windows detect the sound card and prompt you for the install? If not, the card may have died.

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

4. ashfaqrasul

Windows does actually detect the card. The prompts disappear once the drivers are installed manually, and then I can see them in the Device Manager as working properly. Sound and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel doesn't seem to agree however.

5. ashfaqrasul

I had a look and tried a few things. Nothing seemed to do the job.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Are you sure you are installing the right drivers (and latest) drivers?

7. ashfaqrasul

Well I'm using the drivers from the original CD that came with the hardware, just to be safe. Not convinced they're the latest ones, but I'm pretty sure they should be working.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

probably but you never know what the latest windows update broke. I would suggest grabbing the newest from creative just in case.

9. ashfaqrasul

Installed latest Soundmax drivers from the internet for the integrated card and decided to run the AudioWizard - Speaker and Microphone Setup (Hadn't tried this before). On the audio test, I could get sound from the speakers, but it was just a muffled mess (White noise?). Still get no audio device in Sound and Audio Devices Properties however. Does this help?

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

start, run, services.msc. make sure that Windows Audio Service is started.

11. ashfaqrasul

Windows Audio Service is running and is set to start automatically.

12. Jtoast

Jtoast

Going to have to research this one. Hopefully someone else will come by in a few and immediatly realize that we are missing something simple and speak up..heh.

13. ashfaqrasul

Hehe. That'd be pretty awesome. Thanks for your pointers.

14. ashfaqrasul

Finally solved it!!! Didn't get to figure out what the exact problem was. I just reinstalled Windows (No reformat, just upgrade), after which.. I HAVE AUDIO! Thanks J, appreciate your pointers.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/776352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice