1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden loss of USB HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mnementh, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mnementh

Mnementh Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Maxtor Fireball 40GB HDD connected via USB to my computer. It was working fine until a couple of days ago and I cannot now access it. I get a message stating that the drive isn't formatted. I've looked at the Disk Management utility within XP and the drive is shown (Only the drive letter), layout = Partition, Type=Basic, File System is blank and it shows as having 100% free space. The drive had a FAT32 File system and I suspect this has been corrupted some how. Is there a way of repairing the FAT without losing the data on the drive, or do I have to re-format?

Thanks,
    M

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Time for some data recovery software. I'd also take the drive out of the USB case and install it as a secondary drive in a desktop, since many data recovery applications don't work well with USB/Firewire connected drives.

3. Mnementh

Mnementh Thread Starter

Thanks for your update John. Is there any good freeware out there for this or can you recommend something else?

Cheers,
    M

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. Mnementh

Mnementh Thread Starter

Thanks Rich-M - have tried the software and has worked a treat. Much appreciated.

M

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great and glad to hear it. can we get you to close the thread solved by using "thread tools" above?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice