1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden loss of Wi-Fi connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nemo2000, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nemo2000

Nemo2000 Thread Starter

Help !!!

Situation so far:-

HP laptop with in-built WiFi adaptor running Vista SP1, connecting by wireless to D-Link router on home network. All working OK until today. Used laptop this morning OK, then shut down. When switched on this afternoon, no longer able to make wif-fi connection.

Checked that all IP settings correct. WiFi software seems to see other networks in my areas - and even connected briefly to one! - so physical adaptor probably OK. Router reports no obvious problem and I can link to it OK with another old XP SP3 laptop, so probably a problem specific to the Vista machine. Windows reports 'timeout error' whenever I try to connect to my own network. I have deleted existing network entry, re-booted and re-submitted several times with no luck. It appears to be some problem about the security keys - see the event log extract at the end of this message.

One possible clue......when I shut down the laptop this AM it ran some Windows updates. Might this have a connection ? (excuse the pun!) I tried to roll them back later on, but System restore failed :mad:

------------------------
    Event log text from diagnostic run:-

Helper Class (L2Sec Helper Class) Event:

For complete information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational Event.

Helper Class: Layer2 Security
    Initialize Status: Success

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:
    Windows cannot connect to "FIRS-NET"
    Wireless authentication failed because of a timeout.

Detailed root cause:
    Layer 2 security key exchange did not generate multicast keys before timeout

Repair option:
    View available wireless networks
    You can then try connecting to "FIRS-NET" again or try connecting to a different network.
    If you own or set up this network, reset your wireless router or access point and try connecting again.

Information for connection being diagnosed
    Interface GUID: {9b68427b-6ab0-466a-be6c-928d9db541fc}
    Interface name: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
    Interface type: Native WiFi
    Profile: Discovery connection
    SSID: FIRS-NET
    SSID length: 8
    Connection mode: Infra
    Security enabled: Yes
    Connection ID: 1
    Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
    Profile matches network requirements: Yes
    Pre-Association and association status: Success
    Security and Authentication:
    Configured security type: Wireless Protected Access with pre-shared keys (WPA-PSK)
    Configured Encryption type: TKIP
    Security connect status: Fail 0x00048005
    Number of security packets received: 4
    Number of security packets sent: 2
    802.1X protocol: No
    Key exchange initiated: Yes
    Unicast keys received: Yes
    Multicast keys received: No

2. Nemo2000

Nemo2000 Thread Starter

PS.......

Following advice read form another thread I've tried to reset the IP stack as follows:-

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

but each time that I try any of those command I get the message "This command requires elevation" ????? I am using a user account that has admin privileges.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Follow the instructions here EXACTLY and it'll work.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

4. Nemo2000

Nemo2000 Thread Starter

JohnWill - I realise now that what I did not do was to RIGHT click on 'Command Prompt' :( When I tried to reset yesterday I did a Left click and assumed that the lack of the 'Run as Adminstrator' prompt was because I was a user with admin rights.

By the time that I read your reply today, the problem seems to have solved itself! After several hours of frustrated repeated attempts yesterday it all suddenly came back :mad: Incidentally, in the course of trying to diagnose the problem I found also that it worked OK with WPA turned off, but failed again when it was turned back on :confused:

I'll mark the issue as solved thanks and keep the info for reference in case I need it again (y)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice