1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sudden system shutdowns under load Non-Overclocked System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corei69, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Ok I am at a complete and total loss on this one. So here is the problem I have tried to test my system using things like Prime95 several times now and here were my results. Upon first loading Prime95 everything seams great for about 10 minutes then suddenly wammo!! System Shuts off in exactly the same manner as a temperature breach on the CPU would be responded to by the Bios, However upon restarting the machine I find the Temperatures to be Roughly CPU 104F System 85F NB 95F. Now keep in mind that this is on an (Unlocked) AMD Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition 3.2Ghz turned AMD Phenom II x4 B55 BE 3.2Ghz With absolutely No Overclocking. So I can only assume that one of the Unlocked Cores is unstable that or the 300Watt PSU Can't hack such testing however I lack the proper equipment to test PSU, and I have seen talk on simular sites about shutting off one of the cores however in my BIOS the only Core Unlock Options allowed are Auto-All Cores-or -15% up to -2% then 0% then +2% +etc,.. up to +15% on each unlocked core however there appears to be no Options for Shutting down any of the Unlocked Cores. And further more I have Zero Knowledge / Understanding of those Percentages or how to use them and so I just stick to Auto. Now the only time my System suddenly shuts down is under Massive Parralel Processing / High Load Applications such as Prime95, Video Converters that use Parralell Processing etc,... Anyone have any Ideas???

System Specs

Foxconn A88GMV Mobo
    AMD Phenom II x2 555BE 3.2Ghz (Unlocked) AMD Phenom II x4 B55BE 3.2Ghz
    Mushkin 4Gb 2x 2Gb DDR3 PC3 10600 1333 Dual Channel Memory
    Integrated AMD Radeon HD 4250 Graphics Chipset
    300Watt Power Supply

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the very first thing you need to do is to return ALL settings to stock ie clear cmos so you have a dual core and not something else. Once that is done, restart and enter the bios again. Post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Read your mb manual for a detailed description of bios options/menus.

Open your case and post the exact make and model# for your pw supply. A 300W unit [if it is of decent quality, should be ok for onboard video]

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW some of those dual core cpus have one or more cores locked simply because amd had too many quads and not enough dual cores. The other reason [which is more likely] is that it was a quad core/tri core that could not pass QC with all cores in use so it had one or more cores locked.

4. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

I will take pictures of the screens showing temps and voltages however it may be worth noting that in BIOS the BIOS does not see the correct CPU Temp in BIOS CPU Temp is permanently stuck at 104F however in Windows or Linux etc,.. The CPU Temp does register correct under HWInfo64, CPU-Z, Speed Fan,... etc,.. It is unknown to me why this is the case.

5. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

First Picture is the Power Supply, Second Picture is System Temps/Voltages with Core Release Disabled as Dual Core, Third Picture is Temps/Voltages with Core Release Enabled as Quad Core.

Attached Files:

6. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Same Order As Previous Message But These Copies Are 800x600 so you can actually read the screenshots. Power Supply is Model No. PS-5032-2v3 by LiteON.

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have found your problem. Look at the 12V rail; even in the bios [no load condition] it is reading 11.6V. It will drop even lower when you stress the system. In short, install a new quality pw supply.

If you want to upgrade in the future, then I would install a 600W or so unit. For your current system, a decent 450W unit would be fine. Something like this corsair;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

If you do intend on upgrading in the near future, then go with something like this seasonic unit;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

8. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Well I guess that it's a good thing then that I was already planning to buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171150010655 as my next upgrade :)

Thank you for your help at least now I know :)

However I am still Confused as to why the CPU Temp is Permanently stuck at 104F in Bios even though Windows shows accurate constantly changing CPU Temp just fine???

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I really cannot tell you. I can tell you foxconn builds a very wide range of mb from cheap low end boards to some pretty high end stuff. The quality of the lower end stuff is pretty poor. The board you have is not one of their high end boards so it is most likely a design problem. You can try flashing the bios however if the temp reading is not causing any problems, it is better to leave it alone. While a bios flash is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

10. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Yeah I already Flashed it with the most updated BIOS they have so re-flashing to fix a temp problem is probably pointless and the temp shows up fine in windows so its not a big concern. Thank you again for all your help :)

11. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The temp is not reading correctly cause when you unlock the cores it affects the temp sensor. Put it back to two cores and it should read the temp fine.

12. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Already tried that and even with the extra cores Locked back to Dual Core Temp is stuck at 104F

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice