1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Suddenly can't Copy & Paste

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mpayson, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpayson

mpayson Thread Starter

Suddenly today, Windows Vista has stopped letting me copy & paste. I can drag and drop fine, but if I select some text & then paste, it only inserts a space. This happens regardless of the application (at least of the ones that I have tested-- Google Chrome, E-Texteditor, IE, OpenOffice Calc), and regardless of how I invoke the copy/paste (Right click, edit menu, Ctrl-C/V). I have restarted the computer with no apparent effect. It was working fine last night, I just noticed the problem today. Nothing new has been installed in the mean time. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have any clipboard managers installed, like ClipMate? Do you have Office installed?

3. mpayson

mpayson Thread Starter

No clipboard managers. I had a long expired demo version of Office installed, but I just uninstalled it with no effect.

4. mpayson

mpayson Thread Starter

Well... I tried to copy and paste again this morning, even though it hadn't worked when I went to bed. As expected, it still didn't work. I left for work, and left my computer running (as it had overnight). I came home today, and even though nothing has changed in the meantime, it has started working again.

Any further thought that might explain what happened?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably the scheduled self-diagnostic ran while the machine was idle. I hope it sticks :D.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

6. dav19390

dav19390

I had the same experience with Vista in Internet Explorer - right clicking suddenly stopped working from time to time and I had to restart the computer to get it going again. I found a thread some months ago on this forum highlighting this with IE but nobody came up with a satisfactory explanation.
    I did notice that the effect seemed to be triggered by opening multiple windows from the same web site.
    It did not occurr to me to test whether the right clicking also had ceased functioning in other applications once it had started in IE but it does seem to be a similar symptom of the same problem.
    I wonder whether you too had multiple windows open from the same application when it occurred.

7. mpayson

mpayson Thread Starter

The thing that's odd here is that the problem existed through multiple restarts, then magically started working again without a further restart. Anyway... It's still working this morning. We'll see how long that lasts.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice