1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: sunplus multimedia mp3 player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andeejan, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andeejan

andeejan Thread Starter

Hi all. wondering if anyone knows anything about these things. My motherinlaw bought it about 6 months ago as a xmas gift for her daughter and only until a couple of days ago tried installing the software disc on her computer (shes running win 98) now after plugging in the player to her computer via usb her computer recognised that the player was there as a removable device but when she tried to transfer mp3s to the player the computer kept telling her that the player needed formatting so she clicked ok now all the player does is come up with this message on the screen "d0SE rr" I tried it on my computer as I am running xp and I am managing to drag mp3s onto the player but they dont seem to be showing unless I plug the player into a computer.I am thinking when she did a format she may have wiped everything off the player so if anybody has any ideas to fix it I would be eternally greatful otherwise would it be just as easy to bin the bleeping thing... Cheers.:)Andy.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

DOSErr (DOS Error) is usually a sign of corrupted files, which can be fixed by a reformat of the device.

If it was formatted as FAT32 that could be the root problem, should be FAT 16 (sometimes just called FAT)

3. qldit

qldit

Good Evening andeejan, W-98 really doesn't appear to like these things, W-Me onward loves them.
    In that you have formatted, it may have affected the file system on it.
    They are normally fat system usually 32 as far as I know.
    A good tool for working with these devices is avaiable here.........
    http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
    It is called Recovery Manager, it has good destructions as to how to use it and it may be pertinent to run this program on a later machine and format it as instructed.
    The problem you mention where it is working when plugged to a machine but not on it's own is symptomatic of a flat battery, they need decent batteries.

When the device is plugged to a machine it normally would receive power from the USB socket.

See if this procedure restores operation.
    These devices are the greatest gadgets, good for so many applications, but as mentioned W-98 is usually a problem.

Cheers, qldit.

4. qldit

qldit

G'day Kiwi, hot here, cool change coming thank goodness.
    If my mother-in-law gave me some device like this I would have it inspected by the bomb squad!!
    That Recovery Manager program is very interesting, you must have a a look at it!
    I was quite surprised with it. It certainly does something different to normal type formatting.
    Cheers qldit.

5. andeejan

andeejan Thread Starter

Cheers people. decided to take the friggin thing back to the people she got it off,after talkin to some sales geek who thought he knew all about computers we managed in the end to get the thing to do what it was supposed to,The problem was definately what you guys said in that the mother-in-law did a format as a fat 32 and not a normal fat format it wiped everything!!!! So we had to fax china or wherever to get the instructions for a fix.Hopefully she will (the mother-in-law) remember when she buys something like that to make sure she tries it out first and buy something with a reputable brand name and not some piece of junk where the instructions are all in chinese,vulcan,romulan,swaheelee,etc...

6. qldit

qldit

Ying-tong-yickle-i-po is an excellent brand!
    Do I detect an ulterior inference!! (LOL)
    Cheers qldit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice