1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Super Mario 3 Forever

Discussion in 'Games' started by 34m0922, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 34m0922

34m0922 Account Closed Thread Starter

I tried to install Super Mario 3 Forever on my computer, then I tried to run the game then I got a error message. Any solutions to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

That is a neat looking remake of Mario. :D
    Have you tried removing and reinstalling? Shows it works on Windows 7, but maybe try Vista compatibility for troubleshooting.
    Also, try searching for that MMFS2.dll. see if it is in your computer. Not exactly sure where it should be, but see if it even exists.

3. 34m0922

I tried to run as Windows Vista compatibility but it doesn't work

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

same error?
    Did you try installing it in Vista and or XP SP2 compatibility? ( that would be right clicking the installer and setting compatibility, then double clicking to install)

have you searched your system for the MMFS2.dll?

5. 34m0922

Yes I tried Vista and or XP SP2 compatibility and I searched for MMFS2.dll a whole computer and there's no result.

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, so either it's not being installed or something is blocking it.

Odd, researching MMFS2.dll I'm seeing reference to the stdrt.exe also mentioned in the error. Many reports say it is malware and should be deleted. Did you get this game from a reputable place, and have you scanned it as best you can?
    Are there any antivirus notifications coming up when installing?

Perhaps it would be best to avoid this particular game, it may contain malware/virus. The lesser reports have stdrt.exe eating up alot of CPU and RAM. I would skip this game.

Some people have posted other Mario like games. "Secret Maryo Chronicles" and one called "Super Tux" (uses the linux penguin instead of Mario.) Both are said to be free. (info taken from here; http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1053395/ )

7. 34m0922

I tried search MMFS2.dll for hidden and system files, and I searched for stdrt.exe a whole computer and there's no stdrt.exe file on my computer. I scanned the installation file with VIPRE internet security 2013 and no threats was found.

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

The error points to both files. Maybe Viper is preventing them from installing and running. All I know is many reports for stdrt.exe say it's malware or a system hog. And that is the main program listed in your error report.
    If the installer is under 25MB you can scan it here; http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
    they use many different virus engines to scan the file.

Is there a chance for a false positive, sure. That game may be written with the same software the virus people used, but it is tossing up red flags.
    With as many warnings as I read I would avoid it.
    I had a "clean" installer that Norton scanned. it ended up installing 5 unwanted programs in the background.

Maybe someone else on TSG is more familiar with this game, or maybe search for another version from a more reputable place and try that one.

9. 34m0922

I uploaded the installation file and ClamAV found threat named PUA.Win32.Packer.Upx-57

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Where did you get the installation files?

11. 34m0922

12. 34m0922

After I click on Super_Mario_3_Mario_Forever.exe, online installer will download offline installation file and save it on my computer as Install_Mario_Forever.exe file

13. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

14. 34m0922

Yeah, that's correct

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

I don't know then. only one of the virus engines flagged it huh.
    I would try other downloads or just pass on the game all together. I just can't look past all the warnings about stdrt.exe.
    Maybe Couriant has better ideas.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!