1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Surround Decoding Problems

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by crcook84, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I was helping my dad put together a surround sound system in his living room when we ran into a problem. Here's what he have
    DYNEX TV DX-40L130A11 (not sure which exact model in range)
    LG Blu-Ray Player BD530
    Technics Stereo\Surround receiver SA-DX1050
    HDMI and Optical cables

The Blu-Ray was hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable. The TV was hooked up to the Stereo via Optical cable. We tried various adjustments to the audio setups of all the devices going between PCM decoding and DTS decoding. But, we could not get the surround signal going into the receiver via this setup.

After tinkerings of various kinds, I had the inspiration of directly connecting the Blu-Ray to the Stereo via a digital coax connection just to see what it would do. I then played some demos in DTS and Dolby individually. The receiver picked up the DTS and Dolby signals and switched over to the proper decoding settings (Dolby for Dolby and DTS for DTS).

Now, I know the optical cable can handle the surround signal. I've tested that before. As for the HDMI, it is suppossed to be capable of handling the surround signals. But, we are now in doubt. Any input would be welcome.

2. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

Update: I was unable to find additional information in the manual for the TV. However, I have a similar setup for my TV and was able to find some information in my TV's manual. Apparently, the optical out connection on the back of the TV only emits 2 channel stereo (on my TV, anyways). It said that if I wanted surround sound, I would have to directly connect the player to the receiver.

(Note: I am saying that the optical out on the TV is emitting a stereo signal instead of surround. I am not saying that optical can't handle surround.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice