Solved: Suspected Memory Problems, Manually Setting Voltage?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crazyaustrian

hello, i've been getting alot of BSOD lately, and every summer i've noticed. it happens randomly at startup and is fine thereafter. Any memory scanner is use is highly unstable, so i'm thinking ram.
anyway, this is my real question.
ive read from specification on the supplier:

Module Type 240Pin Unbuffered DIMM Non ECC
DRAM Density 128x8,256x8
Data transfer bandwidth 10,664MB/Sec (PC3 10660)
CL-value 9-9-9-24
Working voltage 1.5V±0.075V
PCB 6-layers PCB

is it normal to have only a working voltage of ±0.075V???

i'm thinking maybe having ram voltage set as auto in BIOS might be causing problems??? so should i set it manually to 1.5V
could a too high voltage from auto settings in bios be causing overheating in summer??
How can i check at what voltage RAM is running at? CPUZ??

Thanks guys.

crjdriver

First of all, you need to list your exact system specs; no one knows what we are working on. For system specs list the exact mb you have installed, the exact ram, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc.

If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, you are not going to be able to adjust vdimm [ram voltage] because the necessary settings are not in the bios.

Post your temps and voltages here; specifically the cpu temp, mb or system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info should be available in the bios OR you can download and install hwmonitor

crjdriver

I am off to the gym and errands for a few hrs; I will check this later in the day.

crazyaustrian

-intel core i7 860 2.8 Ghz
-intel motherboard dp55wb
-3 ddr3 dual chanel 2gigs installed, 1333 Mhz (i have an addition 2 gigs not installed, probably not the best choice for dual channel)
nb frequency 2400 Mhz
dram frequency 667 Mhz
9-9-9-24
-ati Radeon 5750 1024 Mb
it's a 350 Watt "powerman" lol
-windows 7 64-bit

i got this for you from hwmonitor

By crazyaustrian at 2011-12-12

anything else you need??

crjdriver

Well, the min requirement for that video card is a 450W pw supply. Using a pw supply that does not meet at least min requirements is really asking for stability problems [which you have]

The very first thing I would do would be to replace the pw supply with something like a corsair 550W or so. Do not buy the $25 500W pw supply; that again is just asking for a problem.

I don't trust Hardware Monitor or any other software program for temperature and voltage validation, but if I were you I would be finding out why the ATX +5v voltage is indicated to be 12.24v.

crazyaustrian

please explain what is wrong with ATX +5v?? what should it be?

This is very annoying as i bought this setup from a computer shop without any changes, i would have hoped they would know what they were doing! (n)

crazyaustrian

can i just disconnect the GPU, does the motherboard have some kind of graphics that the computer can run off if radeon5750 is disconnected?

I don't think that it does; but you can disconnect the GPU if you want too, it might isolate the problem. If the bsod appears after that, then you know for sure it is a power supply problem.

I would suppose so anyway.

Also if not enough power is going though it you could hurt the gpu card eventually perhaps or the power supply could quit on you maybe xO. And that could destroy your entire comp. (hard drive gpu ram etc)

^ or is this conspiracy theory : o

Before you even begin troubleshooting you need to get a good quality power supply that meets the requirments of your components.

The recommended power requirements for the graphics card is a 450 watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...5750/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5750-overview.aspx#3

If it was my machine I would get one of these power supplies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139023

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

The 2nd one gives a little more available power on the +12v rail and is slightly cheaper than the 1st (after rebate). Both have a 5 year limited warranty on parts and labor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online