1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Suspicious sound coming from sound card output.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ShiVER, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShiVER

ShiVER Thread Starter

It's the most suspicious sound I've ever heard. It sounds exactly like fat, felt tip marker making a quick check on paper. It can also be compared to a rat sniff or a piece of paper being turned. I wear headphones and can hear this noise occasionally for up to 15 minutes. It likes to happen at night, when 'they' are active ( humor me ). Because of the sneaky, low volume, discreet, low down, creepy, stalky, shifty sound I am disposed to imagine that someone is looking through my files for credit information and they are unaware of these sounds from my sound card, or they don't care about the sound because they are safe from being caught.

Sound like I'm crazy? Just paranoid. I did say it makes me imagine. The kind of person I am is the same kind that will run system restore at a moment's notice for anything that looks suspicious or a NoScript violation. Because that sound is clearly designed to resemble a sniffing rat doing something sneaky on my computer. I tried to record the output with Audacity 1.3, but it had stopped before I had recorded anything.

My setup:

Windows XP Pro 64 bit Service Pack 2
    Verizon High Speed Internet
    Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    LinkSys Router routing to a Windows 7 laptop, WPK-PSK, TKIP
    Soundblaster Live!
    Avast!
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    NoScript
    Mozilla FireFox

2. ShiVER

ShiVER Thread Starter

It was that Windows XP search dog. When you ctrl + f to open the search side bar in a window there is an animated dog that seems innocuous. Every 15 minutes or so it will scratch itself and make that noise twice. As long as that search side bar is open, minimized or not, that noise will persist.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice