1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: svchost.exe sucking life from PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theseus75, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

At work (where I have good but not total reign over my Dell laptop) lately I have noticed that one of many svchost.exe processes is taking almost all of my PCU power. It never seems to let up until I end process, but then the screen seems to refresh and I lose sound - the computer telling me I have no audio devices.
    Going through add hardware wizard just shows me my default audio device as "working properly" but when I go to Control Panel --> Sound and Audio Devices it says there's none present.
    I know the essence of svchost.exe and what it does, but what would it have to do with sound and why it would be such a pig, I don't understand. Is there a way to track what this utterly ambiguous scvhost.exe is running for? Any other suggestions?
    I am on a large network and I know they're pushing things down all the time, but...

Thanks.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm no pro but I do know that svchost.exe is used by viruses. If you have an instance of it sucking up resources I suggest you do a thorough virus scan with fully updated anti-virus software.

3. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

I'll run a deep scan and see. Too, I should mention that I can restart to regain sound, but that's no long-term solution of course.

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, do a scan and post the results. Your sound problem may be a separate, unrelated problem so let's tackle them one at a time.

5. Caesis

Caesis

I have a related question.

I have 2 dell desktops, and a HP notebook. All of them have this "svchost", multiple ones. The biggest one takes up to 30,000k sometimes. Added up they always take up at least 20,000k.
    What does it even DO?

I can close it on my dell(Computer froze completely afterwords lol. A complete, stereotypical "not even the mouse works" freeze.), but not on this HP(acess denied. I don't own the notebook, its leased)

6. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    You should start a separate thread for your particular problem so it doesn't get confused with the original one.

7. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

svchost.exe is not a virus, its a windows process. svhost.exe is a virus... it has a "c" missing in between. So please dont delete processes related to svchost.exe, those are system services, and required for proper performance. You can also google svchost.exe and search more.

8. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

I ran a scan with the results attached via a screenshot.
    Capri: I have read that it's system service, but what better way to allow insipid apps to drain all my resources than under the ambiguous guise of a "system service." This is the problem with vague monikers and blanket errors/msgs, etc (but that's another matter entirely). I kinda figure that if I can stop it, it can't be that vital, and if I can't trace it back to a point of origin and it's taking 99% of my resources, it's close the process or whip out my pad and paper to get some work done.
    After the scan, I turned off system restore on all drives, restarted, and I'm about to run another scan to make sure they're gone.
    Thanks for the help everyone: I'll post on whether this solved the issue once I can battle test it a bit.

Attached Files:

9. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

Well, yeah, there are some services which are not required and you can turn them off. And yes, if 99% of ur resources are being taken up, then surely its a problem, and u need to check it up. As u attached, there are some trojans in ur PC. So, u did the right thing by turning off system restore and then scanning.

Turn off ur system restore, and then reboot and go to safe mode for scanning the PC. You can also scan with few antispywares like Spyware Doctor Starter Edition, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator, Spybot-Search and Destroy, and also Ad-aware. All these are good ones.
    I hope u are using a good anti-virus.

Take care...

Anupam

10. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

Well, I think this was tied with the wireless zero configuration utility, which I found out once I installed AnVir task mgr. I disabled it, and the problem seems to be fixed, though - also through a detailed view in AnVir, it listed this as tied with the sound somehow. I didn't lost sound when disabling zero config (and I realize it has nothing to do with sound), but only time will truly tell.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice