1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: svchost netsvcs extreme memory usage

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kyo-z-psycho, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyo-z-psycho

kyo-z-psycho Thread Starter

Svchost netsvcs is maxing out my memory for up to 1 hour every day, sometimes more than once a day, this has been going on for half a year i have tried to solve this on my own by reading other resolved threads such as disabling superfetch, but none of them have helped.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD C-50 Processor, AMD64 Family 20 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1642 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 219243 MB, Free - 117567 MB; D: Total - 14966 MB, Free - 1662 MB; E: Total - 4055 MB, Free - 1108 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3577
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that HP/Compaq computer, and what's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

Why is it running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with only 2 GB(2048 MB) of RAM?

--------------------------------------------------------

Since you know how to submit images here, let's see what the startup list and services list look like in that computer.

Note: Make sure the "Name" and "Startup Type" columns in the services list are both viewable, and make sure to submit the ENTIRE services list.

Attached Files:

3. kyo-z-psycho

Product number: QE321UA#ABA
    Model:CQ57-319WM

Never used this site before sorry if i am a bit slow to reply
    The start up list goes on a little more but none of the ones below are checked, they are third party software i downloaded, the window would not let me enlarge.

and as for why i am using a laptop with 2gb of ram it is just how the laptop came when i purchased it, I didn't know if buying more would fix this problem or not so i have not done so but i considered it.

Attached Files:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a Compaq Presario CQ57-319WM Notebook PC that comes with only 2 GB of RAM, but it supports up to 8 GB of RAM.

Since it's running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, you should max it out with 8 GB of RAM.

Its speed and "snappiness" will noticably improve. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you put the mouse arrow over the divider bar between the "Startup Item" and "Manufacturer" columns, you can widen the "Startup Item" column so the ENTIRE names can be viewed.

From what I can see from the partially-viewed names, about half of them can be unchecked.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. kyo-z-psycho

Here you go sorry about that.

Attached Files:

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    These startup entries can be checked:

Adobe Updater Startup Utility

Google Update

Adobe Acrobat

After you're done, click Apply - OK/Close - Exit Without Restart.

The "Startup Type" in these services can be changed to Manual:

Diagnostics Tracking Service

Distributed Link Tracking Client

HP Client Services

HP Support Assistant Service

Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN
    (all entries)

RoxioNow Service

Double-click each one to open its properties window, then change "Startup Type", then click Apply.

(You have several startup and service entries that I'm not familiar with, nor do I know what you have connected to and how you use your computer, so I left them alone.)

After you're done, restart the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

8. kyo-z-psycho

Alright i have applied the changes and restarted the computer and holy hell it's kind of ridiculous how much faster it's running already so thank you very much for that honestly and earnestly.

I immediately opened task manager and watched svchost it went up to 900,000kb
    so that problem is still there but it finished a lot faster this time usually it can take up to an hour but this time it was about 8 mins and went back down to 60k

but the computer does seem faster after it has stopped

I mostly never have more than 1 program open at a time so the ram has never been a huge issue as long as the computer can run something like gimp (a free photoshop program) or just run the internet and videos without grinding to a halt i am happy.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that speed and performance has improved, but you still need to add more RAM.

If you don't want to max it out with 8 GB of RAM, then at least increase it to 4 GB of RAM.

Its integrated AMD Radeon HD 6250 graphics can use up almost 1 GB of RAM, depending on what you're doing that's graphic-extensive.

That leaves only a little over 1 GB of RAM to run Windows 7 and your programs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

10. kyo-z-psycho

Alright i shall go buy some immediately thanks for the help.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

If you're not sure how to add/replace RAM modules, have someone computer-knowledgeable do it for you so you don't damage the modules or your laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!