1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Swaping/Adding Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by readtrek, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

Hello, I have a:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t processor 2.80 GHz
    ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
    ATI Radeon HD 4200
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    16Gb ram
    I have a WD 500GB Drive (c) SATA and a Hitachi 500GB SATA (f) hard drive installed. I just bought a WD 3TB drive SATA. I unplugged the Hitachi drive and plugged the 3TB (pc was off), but it would not show up on "my computer". Called WD and they walked me through setup. But later had to disconnect the 3TB and reconnect the Hitachi because I have a docking station that will only read a max of 2TB drive. How can I install the 3TB drive ( if I unplug, pc wont boo and asks for boot cd to repair windows) on the "Hitachi" bay. I will use the Hitachi drive on docking station. ty.

2. saikee

saikee

According to the published specification in the Internet this Asus ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard can take up to 5 Sata hartd disks.

What's stopping you from adding the 3TB drive as the 3rd disk instead of swapping with the 2nd disk?

3. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

Yes, I do see the extra SATA connectors for the extra drives, the problem is that I do not see any additional Sata power supply connectors. I have extra black and white (molex) connectors from the power supply. Sorry, on this type of subject (molex?) I have defenitely reached my knowledge limit.ty.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  5. saikee

saikee

Noyb has shown the link that Sata disk can draw power from a Molex connector with an adaptor. it is widely available and cheap to buy.

The power supply is just from the same 5 and 12VDC source. I think I read it from somewhere that the only difference is a true Sata power connector can do hot swap whereas from a Molex can't. In your case you don't need a true Sata power connector unless you has a mobile rig with which you intend to remove or add the Sata while the PC is switched on.

6. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

@Noyb, I imagine the 1 molex to 2 sata power splitter is because the hard drive wont need all the power throuput comming from the molex? or con I just buy a 1 molex to 1 sata adapter?
    thank yo very much guys, :)

7. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
  8. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

Ty Metallica. But just curious still about weather the molex to 2 sata is because it can deliver the extra power,,, or could it deliver even more? say a molex to 3 sata? You have all been extremely helpfull.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    From my understanding a SATA drive doesnt use quite as much power as an IDE drive therefore the adapter can go from one Molex (IDE) to 2 SATA connectors. I'm not however entirely 100% sure about this

10. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

Crap, 1 more question, is there a difference between the black and white molexes comming out of my power supply? Those are the ones that I have available. ty all very much.

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    What are the spec's on your PSU? Name/model/wattage. This will help the Tech's in helping you.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hmm shouldn't be. I dont think I've ever seen a SINGLE PSU with both colored molexes though.

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    This would be a HUGE advantage if you answered this as well.

14. readtrek

readtrek Thread Starter

orion HP585D 585 watts on the power supply. I just uninstalled my Hitachi drive and replaced successfully with the WD 3TB, I'm connecting the Hitachi through a docking station, but it's showing as a System Reserved (g) drive with only 100MB available?

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice