Solved: swapped HD and Power supply cant reload

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dwaynea515

This is an IBM thinkcentre with XP Pro. Symptons are random shutdowns and restarts, and constant freezeups. I checked the power supply and it smelled like it was burnt so I changed it. I replaced the HD with a new 40 gig HD and when I went to load OS it got as far as "checking system configuration and then it freezes. I cant format or reload OS. What am I overlooking?

When you installed the hard drive, I'm presuming you followed all the instructions regarding how to format the drive, set up the bios, etc.

You may also want to check your XP CD and make sure it doesn't have any scratches or nicks. Also, if you're using the setup CD that came with your computer, it's very possible it isn't going to work on a new hard drive. Most computer manufacturers have configured the hard drive and the setup CD that comes with it to work only with each other. If this is the problem, you'll have to purchase your own copy of XP.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Mollie

If you haven't formatted your old hard drive, there shouldn't be a problem with using the CDs that came with your computer.

If you still have problems with random shutdowns, startups, and freezes, and the power supply has been bad for a while, it's possible it may have irreparably damaged the motherboard and/or other hardware, including your hard drive. In that case...a new "everything" is in order. :(

If you've recently replaced or upgraded your RAM (memory), it's possible a bad memory module could be causing the problems.

Mollie

dwaynea515

ok i am almost embarrased to tell you this, while rechecking all of the cables i found that the cpu fan was loose. I retapped the hole and tightened it down and now everything works again. I guess that was the problem all along. The owner swears that no one has been in her computer but I dont think these screws strip themselves. Anyway this one is solved

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.